Toledo’s got Pride

The annual Pride event begins Aug. 22

Courtesy of Lexi Staples

At last year’s Pride festival, many people walked in the parade while carrying colorful signs and flags. The participants also dressed up in bright colored coloring to show their support for the festival. This year’s parade will begin at noon on Thursday, Aug. 23 and will feature floats from numerous organizations, sponsors and groups.

Joe Heidenescher, Staff Reporter

The annual Toledo Pride festival will return Aug. 22-24, where it will animate the city with lights, sound and entertainment.

Toledo Pride is a festival and parade that advocates for equality, unity and acceptance for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered (LGBT) people in the Toledo community.

“I think that it’s a celebration of the LGBT community and it’s a celebration of the Toledo community, not just LGBT, but all of us,” said Lexi Staples, executive director of Toledo Pride.

The celebration will begin on Friday, Aug. 22 with Toledo Pride Nite Glo 5K at the University of Toledo. Registration will begin at 6:30 p.m.

Staples said the 5K had over 500 people in attendance in 2013 and this year she is expecting it to grow even more.

According to a press release by Kelly Heuss, the Toledo Pride marketing coordinator, the 5K will feature a warm-up session, a black light finish line and live entertainment after the race.

Staples said that there will be glow sticks and paint available, but participants are encouraged to bring their own and dress in neon colors.

“Everybody decorates themselves and wears the most ridiculous things — like tutus, glow sticks and shenanigans,” said Staples.

Toledo Pride will work with Spectrum, UT’s LGBTQA student advocacy organization, to host the 5K.

Spectrum will have a table on Centennial Mall, said LaVelle Ridley, president of Spectrum.

“Toledo Pride means a lot to us as an organization, as students of the University of Toledo, and as members of the greater community,” Ridley said. “It demonstrates that the members of our community have a space in which to celebrate themselves and all that encompasses our rich and diverse community.”

Ridley said that Spectrum has participated in Toledo Pride since its beginning and they plan to participate in the parade this year.

Ridley attended for the first time in 2013.

“It was an awesome experience to be surrounded by people advocating for equality and just having a good time, celebrating themselves just the way they are,” Ridley said.

According to Brent Rabie, outreach and volunteer coordinator for Toledo Pride, Toledo Pride is a good way to broadcast many organizations’ causes that work for equality.

“I think that it raises awareness for a lot of LGBT groups or friendly groups that maybe don’t have the money or the resources to really get out there and this is a good way for them to be exposed to thousands of people and help their causes,” Rabie said.

Toledo Pride is partnering with several KISS FM radio personalities on Friday at 9 p.m. for “KISS ‘N’ Drag.” Members of the Morning Rush team and DJ 3PM will entertain attendees throughout the evening.

“We are going to have them dress in drag,” Rabie said. “It’s to raise money for the Northwest Ohio Food Bank.”

Rabie said KISS ‘N’ Drag will cost $8 to attend or $5 with the donation of a non-perishable food item.

The parade, which begins at noon on Thursday, Aug. 23, will feature floats from numerous organizations, sponsors and groups.

According to the press release by Heuss, “The parade will begin at the corner of Washington and Ontario, heading toward the Maumee River, down Summit St. and ending in Promenade Park.”

The post-parade festivities will include live entertainment, drag shows, food vendors and 40 minute cruise rides on the Maumee River. A few of the musical guests for the evening include, Rye Rye, Eryn Woods and Pastele.

Toledo Pride will host a child-friendly fun day on Sunday, Aug. 24 from 12-3 p.m.

Families are invited to come to Promenade Park and participate in games and fun for the whole family.

“They’ll be able to color their own Toledo Pride T-shirts,” Staples said.

Thorne said Toledo Pride is a way for people to share an experience together and build a community.

The Toledo Pride organization also worked on preparing the parks for the festival. Staples said they planted flowers at Promenade, added mulch to playgrounds and painted benches that were in desperate need of it.

Thorne said Toledo Pride serves as a great way to rally people together to accept one another and make our community a good place to live in.

“This is the place where everyone can go and kind of do their own thing to their comfort level,” Thorne said. “It’s like your own experience but everyone comes together to have their own experience together. It’s pretty amazing.”