UT bike share program to be tested before implementation in spring 2015

Courtesy of Student Government

The bikes for bike share are sitting in storage, waiting to be rolled out. The program is being tested this fall and could be implemented in spring 2015.

Emily Johnson, Staff Reporter

The UT bike share program will be tested by Student Government this semester after three years of planning. The Provost’s Office plans to implement the program in spring 2015.

After the changing of departments due to budget cuts to the university, the program was shuffled from department to department until it was in control of Douglas Collins, director of grounds and off-site facilities.

According to Clayton Notestine, SG president, the total cost for the program is unknown at this time, as the program, dubbed Rocket Wheels, is still in the testing phase. Students will not have to pay a fee to partake in the program.

Notestine said SG and other departments will be testing the five bikes this semester, then the Office of the Provost will make their final decision in the spring of 2015.

Diana Watts, transit coordinator and director of transit services, said that while research is currently being done for the program, student input is still greatly desired.

“We will still continue our efforts and research more options in the weeks to come and welcome any feedback from the students to help this initiative move forward,�? Watts said.

According to Notestine, SG has been pushing UT to become more bike-friendly since fall 2010 when they added bike corrals where students could enter with a swipe of their RocketCard. In addition, the bike lanes were repainted this summer on Bancroft Street and North Towerview Boulevard.

The program reached a standstill in 2013 after major budget cuts were made throughout UT, according to Notestine. However, he said the program has had the continued support of students since its revival.

“The support of the students fluctuates from year to year, but it has been steady,�? Notestine said.

Notestine said the green aspect is what intrigues most students. As the university becomes more green, students’ general fees paid to UT each semester that go toward maintaining buildings, like Carlson Library, will go down.

During January 2014, Joy Seifert, the director of auxiliary services, was working with the university to decide on a company for the bikes. At the time, the university was considering B-Cycle.

After more research, the company was determined to be too expensive for the university in the long run. With that in mind, Notestine started to look at other options. He said that there are three ways UT could establish a bike share program.

“The first way is that we could have a very smart bike lock system which works in big cities like Washington D.C. and New York City,�? Notestine said.

According to Notestine, this option would allow students to swipe their cards at lock stations, unlocking a bike for them to use. Once the students were done with the bikes they would take them back and the bikes would automatically lock back in.

This system was the first choice for the university but the costs were too great for UT, as Notestine said each bike would cost about $2000. Notestine also said the program would cost the university around $250,000 just to implement and another $50,000 a year to maintain.

“The second option is another electronic system focusing more on the individual bike rather than the locks,�? Notestine said. “The bike would be locked up anywhere but will have its own computer attached to it that will track it and determine who is and who isn’t using the bikes.�?

This option was ideal and naturally the next best alternative to the smart bike option, though it is also expensive, Notestine said.

“The final option is one that you see in college towns,�? Notestine said. “Where you have a grassroots campaign where you have standard uniform bikes, and leave them on campus for use.�?

According to Notestine, this type of program works well because most of the people in town are college students and it would be difficult to walk around with a UT bike while not on UT campus.

Notestine said that it is predictable the university would lose around ten percent of their bikes per semester with this option. With this in mind, the third option was withdrawn and the second option was chosen to continue testing.

After debate and research, the university decided to do a trial run with an upcoming company, Lock8. Because the company is new, Notestine said they are willing to give UT a discount if the locks are bought in bulk.

The Lock8 system will be located on the frame of the bike near the rear tire.

The 30 bikes themselves were bought through Worksman Cycles and are considered to be cruiser bikes that are better suited for the Midwest region.

“They make heavier-duty bikes that are designed for our weather and climate and they are designed to stand constant use,�? Notestine said.

Notestine also said the bikes will be retro-styled with advertising on the baskets to help lower the costs.

Because helmets are a topic of concern, Notestine said he is unsure if helmets will be provided for students or if they will have to provide their own. This topic is still in discussion.

While Rocket Wheels is still in the testing phase, many students are excited about the program.

“I’m really lazy, but I like the idea of a bike program,�? said David Manor, a third-year law major. “I would be willing to try if it didn’t cost me anything.�?

The bike program is not popular among all students however.

“I wouldn’t use the bike program,�? said Samantha Knauf, a first-year pharmacy major. “I’m already taking the bus and all of my classes are so close together; I don’t see the point.�?

Though there is still work to be done and decisions to be finalized, Notestine is looking forward to the implementation of the bikes in the future.

“The bike program has been passed through the last four student government presidents,�? Notestine said. “We are all excited that we are finally making more headway.�?

Comments