Rockets keep Xavier scoreless in weekend home matchup

Head coach Evans reaches 200 career wins with Toledo's defeat of the Musketeers

Marcus Dodson, Sports Reporter

University of Toledo women’s soccer coach Brad Evans is officially over the 200-win mark.

Evans’ Rockets put him over the plateau with UT’s 1-0 victory over Xavier last Sunday. Toledo improved to 2-1-1 and have yet to give up more than one goal in a game this season.

“It is exciting,” Evans said about his 200th career victory. “Longevity plays a role, but it’s good and I am happy I got it with these players and coaches. There have been a lot of players and coaches over the years and I thank them for making this possible.”

UT kept the pressure on the Musketeers early and often despite the humidity Sunday. The Rockets out shot Xavier 15-5 and held a 4-2 edge on corners.

In goal, keeper Sam Tiongson had an easier day, making only one save and earning her team’s second clean sheet of the season.

“We are trying to establish some cohesiveness and grit in our defense,” Evans said. “It is an ongoing process and there are some kinks to be worked out but I think we did a good job. The backs did a good job and the forwards stepped up their pressure defensively. That helps our defense too.”

Toledo held most of the possession in the first half and kept the ball on Xavier’s side of the pitch for the majority of the first 45 minutes.

Early in the second half, Xavier had its best chance of scoring when senior forward Alyssa Tindal found herself alone behind UT’s backline, but she failed to convert the opportunity.

“It was a work in progress,” said freshmen defender Gabby Epelman. “But we finally got our shape right and relaxed and played the ball around with confidence. Fatigue was a big factor today, but the energy on the bench gave us energy on the field and helped us get through it.”

The Rockets will hope to carry on that energy when they face Ohio State on Tuesday at 5 p.m. at Scott Park. Toledo will then travel to Ann Arbor this weekend to take on Michigan.