Assault on campus

IC Staff

A man was punched, kicked and stomped into unconsciousness on Aug. 24 in front of President’s Hall in an assault and attempted robbery.

Toledo resident Darius Gloves, 24, has been charged with robbery and felonious assault.

According to the University of Toledo police report, three officers responded to a fight of “approximately 100 people” Aug. 24 near President’s Hall and Ottawa House West. Upon arrival, most of the group scattered. An injured victim, Raymone L. Wells Jr., 19, was discovered “laying in the grass on the southwest end of Presidents Hall” by an officer.

Raymone Wells said in the report that while he was being assaulted, “suspects were trying to get into his pockets and that they tried to take his shoes off his feet.”

The report said “a large group of approximately 30” people still remained at the scene after police arrived, some “watching the commotion” and others “yelling obscenities.” Raymone Wells’ twin brother, Rayshawn Wells, was also identified at the scene and the report states that he was “extremely irate” and was “running around like a wild man, refusing to answer our questions about what had happened.”

According to the report, many bystanders “were highly agitated” and refused to disperse when UT police officers asked them to. The report said “at least four people had to be physically moved by police before Raymone Wells could be evaluated.”

The Toledo Fire Department arrived on the scene and evaluated Raymone Wells, who had wounds on his head and shoulder, according to the report.

Rayshawn Wells reportedly ignored commands from officers, and the report said he told officers they “would have to taser him and take him to jail because he wanted to talk to his brother.” After being reported as continuously aggressive and having “interfered with [the fire department’s] ability to treat Raymone Wells,” the UTPD report said “we took [Rayshawn] Wells to the ground and handcuffed him.”

The report said Raymone Wells was taken to The Toledo Hospital and Rayshawn Wells calmed down after being taken to the police department for questioning.

According to the report, Rayshawn Wells said Gloves started trouble at a fraternity party off campus, and was trying to “start a Toledo vs. Cleveland fight.” The party was later shut down by Toledo Police and about 45 minutes later, Rayshawn Wells and his group came to President’s Hall to drop off some friends, according to the report.

A physical altercation reportedly ensued after Gloves restarted the same argument. The Wells brothers were reportedly assaulted with “hands, feet, water bottles and parking barricades.”

The report states that Rayshawn Wells was returned to his apartment by an officer so he could go visit Raymone Wells in the hospital with friends.

According to The Blade, Police stopped looking for Gloves around 3:40 a.m. Aug. 31 when he arrived at The Toledo Hospital with a gunshot wound. He is currently recovering.

Comments