Students to participate in breast cancer race

Josie Schreiber, Staff Reporter

“One team. One race. One supporter at a time.”

These are the words Valerie Augustyniak thought of when she decided to start Rockets for a Cure, a team for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.

Augustyniak, a third-year majoring in communication, said the slogan goes with that of the Eleanor N. Dana Cancer Center’s “One team. One place. One patient at a time.”

Augustyniak first got involved with the race last year as a volunteer at the Univerisity of Toledo Medical Center photo booth.

“We tried to start a team last year, but only had three people join,” Augustyniak said. “This year we wanted to get the word out and get more people involved.”

This year, Augustyniak hopes to have at least 20 people join the team. So far, the team has had 18 people sign up. The monetary goal for the team is $1,000 with $50 already donated.

Augustyniak said the race is a great way for the University of Toledo community to come together to show support for the race and finding a cure.

“It is also a great way for the UT community to grow closer,” she said.

As a marketing intern on the Health Science Campus, Augustyniak has the opportunity to talk to people diagnosed with cancer and she said participating in the race is her way of showing them that the community will do its part in helping to fight for a cure.

Rebeca Aguilar, a fourth-year majoring in marketing helped Augustyniak plan and execute the idea of starting a team.

As someone who was involved in student organizations, Aguilar said she knew the “networks” of UT and how to get the word out on campus. Aguilar hung up posters in the Student Union and also had a table set up in Student Union to recruit members. Having the table in Student Union led to the successful recruitment of 13 team members.

“The money goes to help someone have a mammogram who could not afford one as well as treating and curing breast cancer,” Aguilar said. “It’s a great cause and an excellent way for us Rockets to come together and give back.”

The first Toledo Race for the Cure was in 1994, but the Northwest Ohio affiliate of Susan G. Komen wasn’t officially formed until 1999.

Jill Borkowski, communications coordinator for the foundation said Susan G. Komen is the largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any non-profit while providing real-time help for those facing the disease.

According to Borkowski, 75 percent of the money raised by Susan G. Komen Northwest Ohio stays in their 24-county service area (23 counties in Ohio and Monroe, Mich.). This money is used to provide breast cancer health and treatment programs to locals. The remaining 25 percent goes to the Komen national research program to help find the cure.

Chanell Wilkins, a second-year majoring in respiratory care and Rockets for a Cure team member said Rockets should join the team because it will bring awareness to the college community.

Wilkins hasn’t participated in the race before, but has been a part of breast cancer awareness for three years.

“I have not been impacted by breast cancer, but I do believe that it’s become a part of our community and the only way that we can fight it is by raising awareness,” Wilkins said.

To donate money or register to be a part of the team, visit the team page at Utole.do/rocketsforacure. Registration costs $30.00.

There will be a shuttle that runs from Scott Park Campus to downtown and back starting at 7 a.m.

Greg Clausing, the race chair for the event said that this is a great way for students to join in the day without having to worry about parking downtown.

Clausing said students should join the team so they can experience Race for the Cure firsthand.

Clausing began as a volunteer for Susan G. Komen while he was a student at UT studying business.

“It is a wonderful event to celebrate and honor both survivors of breast cancer and those who are no longer with us,” Clausing said.