Unanimous agreement to lower law degree tuition

Samuel Derkin, Staff Reporter

In a unanimous agreement the Board of Trustees lowered the University of Toledo’s law degree tuition by approximately 13 percent.

“This will make what was already a great value in legal education even better,” said Daniel Steinbock, dean of the college of law.

Steinbock said this new rate will benefit the program and he hopes that this will not only make a law degree more available to students but also bring students to UT over other schools.

Talks to lower tuition began last spring in response to a national decline in law degree interest, according to senior director of university communications Jon Strunk.

The Blade recently reported that this year’s UT law degree applicants dropped to 475 students in contrast of three years ago when UT reportedly had upwards of 1,400 applicants.

This tuition cut will go into effect fall semester 2015 and will be taken from in-state tuition costs, according to Steinbock; this cut will not be placed on the out-of-state additional charge.

Interim UT President Nagi Naganathan, said that this change in tuition is in response to the state and national market elasticity to make UT more competitive in its field.

Within the same Board of Trustee meeting, a new contract of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees union was agreed upon raising wages for the union approximately 3.7 million over the next three years.

This was the second union agreement in three weeks and will affect approximately 1,900 UT employees primarily on the UTMC campus, according to Strunk.