Weekly Launch: Game Edition (Toledo versus Ball State)

A closer look at each Rockets’ home game

Marcus Dodson, Sports Reporter

So much action happens during each Toledo home football game, and the IC Sports staff is here to make sure you don’t miss any of it. This is Weekly Launch: Game Edition, the post-game version of our weekly notebook.

(Notebook for Toledo’s 34-23 home victory over Ball State)

Rain No More

The Rockets weren’t the only local team with a delay due to severe weather Saturday night, but they definitely are the local team that best weathered the storm.

The University of Michigan was forced to suspend their game against Utah for an hour and a half due to the severe thunderstorms that rolled in during the early evening. The Wolverines ended up losing the matchup 26-10.

Senior Slumping

Senior team captain and starting place kicker Jeremiah Detmer is known for his consistency when it comes to putting the ball between the uprights.

He is still pretty consistent, but not as close to perfect as he was last season.

After going 19-of-20 on field goals and 44-of-45 on point after attempts in 2013, Detmer has already missed three field goals in just four games this season and he has also shanked an extra point. The Lou Groza Award semifinalist finished Toledo’s game against Ball State with no field goal attempts, but he added the missed PAT after the Rockets’ first touchdown of the night.

Milestones in the Glass Bowl

With the win against Ball State, Toledo secures the 500th victory in school history, marking a milestone for a program that began playing football in 1907.

Matt Campbell, in his 30th game as Toledo’s head coach, defeated the Cardinals for the first time in his career. He now sits at 1-2 against BSU. Toledo teams have scored 30 points or more in 10-of-15 home games during the Campbell era.

Junior wide receiver Alonzo Russell caught his 14th career touchdown pass in the third quarter, putting him in 10th place in school history in the category. Sophomore running back Kareem Hunt has rushed for over 100 yards in each game this season, but he has also missed the second half of the last two games (Cincinnati and Ball State) due to injury.

Tired legs and Tired Eyes

After a game that lasted for nearly six hours and which ended early Sunday morning, the Toledo football players were apparently in no shape or form to attend their post-game press conference.

Coach Campbell made the decision to forgo the player interviews due to the Rockets’ needing rest for practice, which was set to take place less than twelve hours after the final whistle blew in Toledo’s game against Ball State.