Students sleep in cardboard boxes for one night to raise awareness

Courtesy of Emily Rady

Students build cardboard homes in 2012’s Cardboard City event. This is a free event hosted by Habitat for Humanity on Oct. 3-4 to raise awareness for homelessness.

Emily Johnson, Associate News Editor

Cardboard City is a free event that Habitat for Humanity will be hosting Oct. 3-4 to raise awareness for homelessness.

Last year, 900 people in the city of Toledo were homeless as well as an estimated 300 families. Toledo was one of nine cities that had the largest number of homeless people, according to a study conducted in 2013 by the Coalition of Homelessness and Housing in Ohio.

The numbers have gone down in recent years, due in part to a spreading awareness of the issue. One way people are learning more about this problem is through programs like Cardboard City.

The free event will begin on Friday, Oct. 3 at 6 p.m. on Centennial Mall and continue until 9 a.m. the next day.

The students who wish to participate will be given cardboard boxes to build a shelter to sleep in for the night, according to Emily Rady, a third-year biochemistry major and advocacy chair for Habitat for Humanity.

There will be contests to see who can build the most innovative and practical house but it is not a solo effort. Students can group with other students to create a makeshift village.

“There are contests, games and snacks and pizza for participants to enjoy,”Rady said. “There will also be a speaker to educate students about homelessness.”

She said students do not have to stay the entire night. The planned events end at midnight and students are welcome to leave before then, or after midnight.

Rady said they just ask that students take down their houses to aid in the cleanup effort after.

She and the rest of the board have been “eagerly awaiting” this year’s Cardboard City.

Rady has attended Cardboard City since 2010 and is eager for a big turnout this year.

“Cardboard City was one of the highlights of the semester. I was able to listen to speakers and make new friends all while having a fantastic time,” said Adam Novak, a fourth-year pharmacy major, recalling when he attended the event in 2011.

In addition to the games, Rady said they will be collecting toiletry items to make bags for the homeless; they plan to make between 25-50 bags.

Travel-sized items are best in order to help lower costs and build more kits, according to Rady.

“We are asking for small-sized soaps, shampoos, conditioners, hand sanitizers, combs, toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant, feminine hygiene products, wash cloths and towels,” she said. “We are basically asking students to bring what they would need in day-to-day life that is often taken advantage of.”

Rady also mentioned that the 10 students who bring in the most donations will win a free Cardboard City shirt.

She said students are not obligated to bring donations, but they must bring something if they want a free T-shirt.

Students who wish to be more involved with the after-efforts of this event are encouraged to volunteer with Habitat for Humanity and Bridge, another organization at UT who work in aiding the homeless, to distribute the bags.

Formally known as The Bridge, Bridge meets every Friday to make sandwiches that they will distribute the following day at the downtown library, said Ken Leslie, founder of 1 Matters and Tent City.

Leslie, who will be speaking at Cardboard City, said he has attended the event since 2007 and is always excited to come every time it is held.

Leslie was homeless himself in the 1980s when he was a drug addict and an alcoholic.

He said learning that 60 percent of homeless people are families and children is what pulled him out of being homeless. Leslie didn’t want to be a statistic, and he wanted to help lower the percentage by raising awareness.

Leslie was a comedian before he started his own organization, 1 Matters, and has worked with Katy Perry and Justin Bieber.

Leslie is a self-proclaimed advocator of compassion, and said “UT is one of the most compassionate universities I’ve been to.”

According to Rady, Leslie will be speaking at 9 p.m. about his experiences with homelessness and how it shaped his idea of life and how he wanted to live. He will also speak about compassion and the importance of having it.

Rady believes while students will have “a lot of fun due to the games and activities,” they will learn what it is like to be homeless. She hopes the feeling resonates with the students.

“Sleeping in a cardboard box might be exciting for one night,” Rady said, “but students should ask themselves, ‘what would it be like for this to be my life?’”

Leslie feels similarly about raising awareness of homelessness.

“People need to know that this can happen,” Leslie said. “At any given moment, it could be you; you could end up homeless.”

Rady said if students want to get involved in the effort to help end homelessness in Toledo, they can volunteer with Food for Thought, the Cherry St. Mission and Leslie’s program, Tent City.

“These are brilliant kids with a brilliant level of compassion,” Leslie said, “Cardboard City will hopefully help them realize how truly powerful they are and can accomplish anything, including ending homelessness.”

• Denisha

hello my name is Denisha Winters and I was curious to know where The Bridge association was located on campus.

[Reply]