Fighting for philanthropy

George Wechter and Emily Johnson

Students can fight gladiators from 4-8 p.m. Oct. 16 in the University of Toledo Recreation Center.

Campus Activities and Programming will host the Toledo Gladiators event as a way to raise money for different Greek philanthropies.

“The more people that are involved, the higher money will be for the philanthropy choice of the fraternity and sorority’s choice,” said Carly Gains, head of philanthropy and community care for CAP.

Toledo Gladiators is a twist on five traditional American Gladiator events — joust, assault, atlasphere, rock wall, powerball and a ropes course. The gladiators which students can single-handedly compete with are members of each participating fraternity and sorority.

Jad Itawi, a second-year student majoring in pharmaceutics pre-law and a member of Kappa Delta Rho, said, “I think that it is a great event that gets not just Greek organizations involved, but the student body as well.”

UltraSound will set up the inflatable courses for the competition events, and food will be set up in the Maple Room.

Throughout the night there will be side events taking place for students who choose not to participate in Toledo Gladiators.

At the end of the event, the homecoming groups will participate in a group competition consisting of two men and two women from each of the fraternities and sororities. The winning groups will split the money raised to donate it toward their philanthropy.

“It helps organizations competitively, and gives back to a great cause, a philanthropy,” Itawi said.

He said Kappa Delta Rho will be participating in Toledo Gladiators and competing to raise money for their philanthropy, B+ (Be positive) Foundation.

The cost is $10 per participant. Students can purchase tickets at Ask Rocky on floor 2B of the Student Union.