UT contractor issued citation

Amanda Pitrof, News Editor

Industrial Power Systems was issued citation Oct. 7 for one willful and one serious safety violation for work done this past summer on the University of Toledo campus, with a proposed $75,000 in fines. Two of the company’s employees were exposed to cave-in hazards while putting in steam and chill water piping for the construction of the Recreation Center on campus.

The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) began the inspection Aug. 6, 2014, after a compliance officer observed the workers in an unprotected, 10-feet-deep trench, according to a news release from the U.S. Department of Labor.

OSHA’s safety regulations state that protections against cave-ins are needed in all excavations made 5 feet or deeper.

There were no protective systems in place to prevent trench collapse, which the investigation found to be a willful violation of standards. The serious violation charge was for not giving workers a way to exit the trench, like providing a ladder.

“A willful violation is one committed with intentional disregard for the law’s requirements, or with plain indifference to worker safety and health,” according to the news release. “… A serious violation occurs when there is substantial probability that death or serious physical harm could result from a hazard about which the employer knew or should have known.”

The citation and notice of Penalty sent to Industrial Power Systems stated that the company has 15 business days upon receiving it to respond, either through compliance, requesting an informal meeting with OSHA’s area director, or to send a letter of intent to contest the findings in front of OSHA’s Review Commission.

For more information on OSHA’s safety standards, go to http://www.osha.gov.