Men’s tennis team successful during Rocket Invitational

Keith Boggs, Staff Reporter

The University of Toledo men’s tennis team took care of home this weekend with a strong showing at the three-day Rocket Invitational.

The Rockets wasted no time asserting themselves, winning 11 of the 12 matches that they played on Friday, Oct. 10 against Wayne State and Youngstown State.

Sophomore Stjepan Sisko won two singles matches against Wayne State (6-3, 6-4) and Youngstown State (6-2, 6-4), continuing to build on his stellar freshman season with an impressive second year.

“I’m more confident in my skills this year,” he said.

Senior Nicky Wong also had a good first day, winning a singles match against Wayne State (6-1, 6-2) and teaming up with junior Garrett Cona to win a doubles match over Youngstown (7-6, 7-6).

The second day against Duquesne and a Purdue/Western Michigan split squad wasn’t as dominant, but the Rockets certainly held their own.

Toledo won seven out of 11 matches, including a sweep of Duquesne in five.

The Rockets received a singles victory courtesy of junior Ryan Jorgensen (6-3, 3-6, 10-8 over Purdue) and a doubles victory from the team of Wong and senior Mark Singnil (6-2, 6-4 over WMU).

“The team chemistry is really good,” Wong said. ”We do a lot of things together, and we communicate really well.”

The Rockets finished up in day three with a really strong performance.

Against Cleveland State, Toledo took both doubles matches and three of four singles against the Vikings.

Sisko again took care of business, winning a singles match (6-1, 6-4), while Cona and Wong again teamed up for a hard fought doubles win (6-4, 7-6) and Jorgensen and freshman Stephen Miller were victorious in a three-set match (3-6, 6-4, 10-5).

“I feel like we played pretty solid, a couple of hiccups, but we played good overall,” said UT head coach Al Wermer. “We have to make sure we’re not too confident. We do feel like we could be the best team in the conference.”

Wermer’s players agreed with their coach’s words, and they are eager to show their school what this team is capable of.

“We want people to start coming to the games,” Sisko explained.

Toledo will hit the road for the ITA Regionals, which kick off Thursday, Oct. 16, in Ann Arbor.