Weekly Launch

The IC sports staff counts down the top UT football stories of the week

Marcus Dodson, Sports Reporter

The University of Toledo football team is on the hunt for a MAC title, and the IC Sports staff is here to bring you all this year’s action as it happens. This is Weekly Launch, a feature counting down the top UT stories heading into each new week of the season.

And the Award goes to…

It probably should be no surprise that Toledo sophomore running back Kareem Hunt was named Mid American Conference West Division Offensive Player of the Week for his performance against UMass.

With 198 rushing yards – a new career high – and a touchdown on 26 carries, Hunt paced the attack in Toledo’s Homecoming victory over the Minutemen.

This is the sixth time this season that a Rocket has taken home the honor of player of the week.

Hunt’s playing time against UMass was his first game appearance since the first half of the Ball State game back in September. The sophomore has been struggling with a right ankle injury, and was seen on Monday with a walking boot on.

The tailback said it’s nothing to be worried about and that the boot is just a precautionary measure. Toledo head coach Matt Campbell seems to agree, saying that Hunt should practice in full this week.

Hunt will be looking for another big night on Tuesday, November 4th, when the Rockets travel to Kent State, a school just 20 minutes from Hunt’s hometown of Willoughby.

“It’s going to be nice,” Hunt said. “I know a lot of folks back home are going to be at the game since it’s so close and I just want to bring something they can watch and enjoy.”

Kent State ranks second to last in the MAC against the rushing attack, giving up 217 yards per game. Look for Toledo’s second-ranked rushing unit to attack that weak point next Tuesday.

Healthy Rockets?

In a season with so many injuries, Toledo head coach Matt Campbell’s lack of an injury report during Monday’s press conference was quite the anomaly.

The only new injury Campbell mentioned was that of junior tight-end Alex Zmolik, who is questionable for Tuesday’s matchup against Kent State. After the bye week – and with ten days off before their contest against the Golden Flash – the Rockets might finally be close to full health.