Students jazz up guitars Nov. 18

Anna Glore, Staff Reporter

Using only guitars, performing arts students will hold GuitArkestra, a jazz ensemble at The University of Toledo’s Center for Performing Arts Recital Hall on Tuesday, Nov. 18.

“It’s a jazz concert, and the group is sort of like a big band of guitars,” said Norman Damschroder, director of GuitArkestra.

The event is $5 for the general public and $3 for students and seniors aged 60 and up. Damschroder said this concert will benefit anyone with a major in the musical field, specifically jazz history.

The group is compiled of ten guitarists, a bassist and drums, Damschroder said.

“It’s a concert with a fairly unique group of musicians,” Damschroder said. “It’s just fun.”

The concert will add a new twist to traditional jazz, Damschroder said.

“You don’t often hear a group like this, guitar players playing like they’re saxophone players,” Damschroder said.

The event has been going on for seven years, and Damschroder said each year the event is a hit.

Students performing in the event, like Chad Schoen, are excited as well.

“I hope people will gain a new appreciation of jazz music,” Schoen said in an email interview.

Schoen said he loves being part of GuitArkestra, and he praises Damschroder for all of the work that he puts into it.

“Because we have such a large influx of guitars, we use it as their ensemble,” Damschroder said.

Schoen said performing in this group is “unlike anything I have ever done musically.”

By using only guitars, Schoen said he hopes to convey a powerful message.

“Guitar is a very powerful and potent instrument; hopefully the impact will be great upon the listeners,” Schoen said.

Schoen said that attending events such as these is a good way for students to become more aware of American culture.

“I feel it is important to support musicians, especially music that plays such a large role in American culture,” Schoen said.

Schoen said jazz is very prominent in our society and he hopes the audience will become enriched from attending this event.

“We’re all in college to expand our minds, to grow as humans and to grow as a society. Attending a jazz concert will assist in all of this,” Schoen said. “Plus it’s jazz and a bunch of guitars. What else is cooler than that?”

Schoen said putting the event together is not an easy task.

“Having so many guitarists playing melodies that are all harmonized and orchestrated by Professor Damschroder, it can be somewhat chaotic. However, we all work very hard for it to not be chaotic when it comes to crunch time,” Schoen said.

Schoen said that much hard work goes into not only the performing, but the planning as well.

“Once everything is worked out and our performances are solid, it’s amazing playing with my colleagues in GuitArkestra,” he said. “I look forward to the next few years of this controlled chaos.”