Education week teaches students about world cultures

Anna Glore, Staff Reporter

This week, students will have the opportunity to learn more about international educational through a series of several events.

The University of Toledo is holding its own International Education Week, which began Nov. 17 and will continue through Nov. 21. Events will be spread out throughout each day and will be held in various locations during the week.

International Education Week takes place each November to educate students about cultures around the world.

“International Education Week serves as a reminder that university campuses play a vital role in shaping global awareness, preparing students for the global environment and encouraging them to become international leaders,” said Cathy Zimmer, the relations director for the Center for International Studies and Programs (CISP) at UT.

Two events Zimmer said CISP is highlighting are “Ask a Diplomat” and “Global Climate Disruption: How Do We Know? What Can We Do?”

“Ask a Diplomat” will be held in two sessions, both of which are in Student Union Room 2591 on Nov. 19. The first session will be from 10-11 a.m. and the second will be from 2-3 p.m.

“Have you wondered about working overseas?” Zimmer asked. “Does the life of a U.S. diplomat intrigue you? Attend Diplomat-in-Residence Michelle Jones’ informational presentation on U.S. Foreign Service careers. Your questions about career opportunities, including internships, fellowships and Civil and Foreign Service positions will be answered.”

The other event in CISP’s focus, “Global Climate Disruption,” will also be held in SU Room 2591 on Nov. 20 from 5-6:30 p.m. The presentation will be interactive and led by Andy Jorgensen, associate professor of chemistry and environmental sciences. The topics covered will include climate change and how it can be prevented.

These are just a few of more than 30 events that are planned to be held throughout the remainder of the week, according to Zimmer.

“There will be fun, academic opportunities for students, faculty and staff. These include International Village, foreign film screenings, international photo contest and excellent speakers,” said Michelle Ploeger, International Education Specialist at UT.

One of the larger events of the week is called International Village.

“The purpose of I-Village is for students to come to the auditorium, learn about the different cultures that we have at UT. We have a large international community at UT that not many people are aware of,” said Dina Tete, director for the International Students Association.

Tete said about 400 people have attended in past years, and this year they are expecting to have 500.

Tete said there are different booths that represent a different culture, all of which will share a dish from the culture and entertainment.

“For example, our Chinese booth will have free food and they are going to teach people how to make fried dumplings,” Tete said.

Tete said that the students are excited to present their culture and teach others about who they are and where they are from.

International Village will be held on Wednesday, Nov. 19 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the SU Auditorium.

“As students it’s really important that we know about international education week and actually find time to celebrate it,” said Shagufta Sami, media officer for the International Students Association and columnist for The Independent Collegian.

Ploeger said CISP has partnered with other organizations across campus to offer a wide variety of programs and activities. Each of the events that are to take place will encourage students to study abroad and learn more about different cultures.

“I know we have a lot of students at UT interested in studying abroad so it’s always just a good start to go talk to those people from that country and get a better feel and better idea of what they are and what their culture is like. It’s a small window to a bigger world,” Tete said.

Comments