Global career options discussed on Nov. 18

Katelyn Montgomery, Staff Reporter

Keynote speaker Stacie Nevadomski Berdan discussed advantages of studying abroad Nov. 18 in honor of the nationwide celebration of International Education Week.

In her presentation, Berdan said one of the most important reasons every American should have a global mindset is because we live in a diverse country.

“Even if you’re not interested in picking up and moving to Hong Kong like I did, you really would be well-advised, especially today, to think about the world beyond our borders, to appreciate and understand the diversity right here in the United States, and to try to figure out how best to gain these cross-culture competency skills, which employers increasingly want,” she said.

According to Berdan, research shows that diversity increases creativity and productivity.

“[Productivity increases] because people have different strengths and they build off each other, and so you can solve problems more efficiently with better solutions,” she said.

One of the most common complaints Berdan hears from employers is a lack of soft skills, or communication skills.

“Things like leadership, management, adaptability, flexibility, cross-cultural competence, working with people who are different are missing with new hires today,” she said.

When talking about studying abroad, Berdan said it can enhance cross-cultural awareness, and soft skills can be learned.

“There is so much you can learn about yourself and about the world and about these soft skills,” she said.

During her presentation, she also presented a short video clip in which students who traveled abroad briefly described their experiences. The video concluded with each individual saying they are ‘generation study abroad.’

Melody Beerbower, a first-year English major, commented on the use of the videos.

“Breaking up her speaking with videos of others’ experience gave a nice flow to her talk,” Beerbower said.

Berdan said only 10 percent of American students study abroad and some studies show that because of social media, students today are not having as in-depth culture experience as kids did ten years ago.

“You’re not supposed to be chatting back with your friends through Facebook, your parents everyday on Skype, or playing all your American music, and bringing thousands of American videos because you want to be connected to your own culture,” she said. “…That’s not what it’s about, it’s about immersing yourself in a culture so you can learn as much as possible and detaching.”

Tayo Osinowo, a fourth-year finance major, said he has connected with another culture.

“Having worked in Mexico for two and a half months for an internship, I strongly believe that immersing oneself in the culture of another country is a great way to see more of the world and acquire a new language as well as set oneself apart from the rest in the job market,” he said.

Berdan offered tips for deciding to study abroad such as making sure you are ready for the personal challenges, determining how it will enhance your degree, and articulating personal goals for study abroad.

She also discussed calculating funds for study abroad and not to give up on it if it appears to be too expensive.

“There’s are lots of ways and options now more so than ever for scholarships, funding, financial aid can be transferred, shorter term stays,” Berdan said. “There are lots of ways to actually make it affordable.”

She also talked about pursuing an international, global career by having a strategy and doing your own research.

“You have to do your research because it changes all the time,” Berdan said. “The industries that are hot, which countries are growing … but figuring out where the growth areas are, which geographies, where there is an alignment with your skills, needs, and what you want to do, you can begin then to connect the dots.”

Tips for landing a global transfer, such as being great at what you do, were also a part of Berdan’s presentation.

“Organizations do not transfer mediocre people,” she said “Because it’s hard, as I said, you have to be great and prove yourself in an environment.”

Berdan said to make your international desires known early and often, learn and practice a second language, and demonstrate you have skills.

The presentation ended with a question-and-answer session with the audience in which students asked both personal and presentation-related questions.

Jessica Howell, a second-year law and social thought major, enjoyed the presentation.

“I liked how she was really real,” she said. “She told you straight up, it’s not about going there just to have fun, it’s hard work and how to get to the places where she is in life, she had to do a lot of hard work.”

Comments