Weekly Launch: Game Edition (UT vs. BGSU)

Marcus Dodson, Sports Reporter

The streak still lives

Junior wide receiver Alonzo Russel has had a very successful career catching the football.

Russell has caught a pass in all 36 games he has played in as a Rocket, including Wednesday night’s rivalry faceoff with Bowling Green State University.

Russel has 18 receiving touchdowns in his career as a Rocket to go along with over 2300 receiving yards. This season, the junior has seven touchdown receptions and is averaging 60.9 yards a game.

Some of Russell’s best games have come against the Falcons. In his freshman campaign, he torched BGSU for 152 receiving yards and a touchdown on six catches, notching a career-long catch for 66 yards.

In his sophomore season, the wide out caught the game-winning touchdown pass against the Falcons, one of the two scores he caught that day.

New Gear

The Toledo Rockets broke out new Glass City uniforms for Wednesday night’s game against Bowling Green.

The Uniforms were mostly gray with blue accents on the shoulders and a gold outline around the numbers.

A night to remember

Sophomore star running back Kareem Hunt has been dealing with injuries all season, missing three games and the second half of two more.

With so much of the year spent on the sidelines, Hunt still managed to rush for over 1,000 yards in just 27 quarters this season – the third fastest time to the milestone and 15th time in UT history the mark has been reached.

Hunt eclipsed the 1,000-yard mark on a rush of 44 yards against the Falcons, which would lead to a Rocket touchdown.

The Doak Walker Candidate for best back in the country would finish the game with 265 yards and two touchdowns, setting a new career-high. In the third quarter, with Toledo up 13-10, Hunt broke off a 91-yard touchdown run.

The back has now rushed for at least 100 yards in nine consecutive games and was nine yards short of reaching that 100-yard mark against Northern Illinois last season. Had he succeeded to eclipse the number against the Huskies, Hunt would be up to 14 consecutive games with at least 100 yards rushing.