Eight essential fashion items for men

Joe Heidenescher, Associate Community Editor

Are you one of those bros that only owns sweatpants, hoodies and sneakers? Unless you are going to the gym, there is no real excuse for dressing like a bum every day.
Whether you’re trying to look classy or just go to class, here are eight simple solutions to your wardrobe drought.

V-Neck T-shirts

V-neck shirts work well with about any outfit, especially if they are in solid colors. Stock up on T-shirts of different colors that can be mixed and matched. It’s important to buy T-shirts in your size. Know which store’s sizes fit you the best; you don’t want it to look too baggy or too tight. I recommend Old Navy; they sell dozens of different V-necks usually for under $15.

White, fitted, wrinkle-free dress shirt

You can never go wrong with white; it is almost impossible to mismatch. This single piece of clothing can be used for anything. Weddings, funerals, church, clubbing, dates, presentations, you name it. It is crucial to have in your closet at all times, for all occasions. White dress shirts can be worn plain with a tie layered with sweaters or with a blazer. The options are limitless. Make sure to keep it clean, wrinkle-free and ready to use. You never know when you’ll need it. Shirts like these can be found almost anywhere, like Walmart for $15 or TJ Maxx for $20.

Ties

A gentleman knows how to wear ties and has an assortment to choose from. Black and blue ties are easy to match. Skinnier ties look better. Remember a few tricks; never wear a patterned shirt with a patterned tie. I would recommend buying some bowties in addition to regular ties. Bowties look nice with suspenders, but never wear suspenders with a belt. Stores like Kohl’s, Sears and JC Penney’s have a nice selection of ties to choose from. They can range from $15 to $50, depending on the style.

Sweaters

Sweaters are essential to a casual winter day or a formal date. A solid gray sweater goes well with jeans, dress pants or khakis. Sweaters also work best when layered. You can layer sweaters over T-shirts or dress shirts. I would suggest owning a variety of sweaters and cardigans. On a casual bro day out, a cardigan goes well with a solid V-neck. For a formal occasion, wear a white dress shirt with a tie under your gray sweater to look sophisticated and refined. You can find sweaters for under $25 at stores like H&M and Old Navy.

A Blue Blazer

Whether you’re going to the bar or going to a wedding, a blue blazer is versatile enough to always present a distinguished look. You can wear a blue blazer with dress pants, khakis or even denim jeans. Underneath you can wear dress shirts of various colors, solid sweaters and different ties. I found my blazer at TJ Maxx for $50, but I would encourage you to shop around at stores like Goodwill or Plato’s Closet. Thrift shops are great places to find gently used clothes for really cheap prices, plus it’s fun to try on retro clothes. Who knows, you could even find your grandpa’s coat.

Brown Shoes

A nice pair of brown shoes will go with almost any outfit — unless you are wearing all black, then you should wear black shoes, duh. I would suggest having two pairs, maybe Sperry’s for casual use, and a pair of chukka boots for semi-formal occasions. These shoes can be worn with jeans, chinos, khakis or dress pants. When it comes to socks, wear dress socks or no-show socks. Do not wear white crew socks or knee high athletic socks. Brand name shoes will cost more than $110, but if you look for knock-offs you can find a decent pair for as cheap at $30.

Decent pair of denim jeans that fit well

This is absolutely essential. I’m not saying that you need to go out and buy a pair of tight-fitting skinny jeans that your boys can’t breathe in, but I would suggest buying a few pairs of jeans that fit your legs, and butt. Believe it or not, many people find guys’ butts attractive. Buying a pair of jeans that fit your length, waist and fit slimly is not the easiest. American Eagle usually does a good job at making jeans for guys. Buy either slim- or straight-legged jeans that DO NOT sag down past your butt. Buy multiple washes to give yourself a variety to choose from each day. In addition to jeans, you’ll want to buy a nice brown belt. You should wear this belt every day with your jeans; it adds a nice touch to your midsection. While speaking of keeping your pants up, people do not want to see your underwear, but if they ever do — and that is a big if — make sure they are boxer briefs, nothing else. All of these pieces can be found at American Eagle. They have jeans for under $50, underwear for under $20 and belts for about $20.

Watch

A watch immediately sets you apart as a gentleman. A nice watch shows that you care about how you look and that you care about your time. You can wear a sporty watch, a metal watch or a leather watch. Find which style looks best on you and invest in it. Besides looking nice on your wrist, it is a functional piece of equipment to catching class on time. I found my leather watch online at Jack Threads for $35. A good watch can last you a lifetime; do not be afraid to spend a bit of money for one that defines you and your personality.

With all of these tips in mind, you will be on the right track to being the best-dressed man in the room. Match that style with your kickass personality and you’ll be sure to drop some jaws. Go get ‘em tiger.

Joe Heidenescher is a second-year English major and is the associate community editor at the Independent Collegian.

5 Comments

Eight essential fashion items for men