Eight essential fashion items for women

Emily Modrowski, Fashion Columnist

Everyone has those few select clothing items they deem must-haves. The eight items I have picked out really go with anyone’s style and can be worn by anyone and everyone.

Plain Black T-shirt

A plain black tee will literally go with anything, I promise. You can dress it up, or make it more casual. It’s so easy to throw under cardigans, jackets or blazers to give it more of a classic look. A black T-shirt makes an outfit look more chic and put together than a plain white or gray tee. The black usually looks better with brighter colors because it makes the bright colors pop much more. You can find them virtually anywhere, but I found mine at Forever 21 for only $4.

The High-Waisted Bottom

High-waisted bottoms are a huge trend right now. Skirts, pants, shorts, they’re all amazing. With the crop top movement out in full force this year, high-waisted items are a must. A crop top paired with a high-waisted skirt or shorts in the summer or spring makes for a fun, casual outfit, while a crop top with high-waisted pants and maybe a cardigan is an adorable, easy outfit in fall. I always like to wear my high-waisted bottoms with my shirt tucked in as well. If you’re feeling rebellious, you can also wear your high-waisted skirt with some suspenders. You can find high-waisted jeans and jean shorts at places like Goodwill or Savers, which is where I found mine. I found my high-waisted leather skirt at Kohl’s for $20.

Jean Jacket

OK, I will shout this from the rooftops: jean jackets are the number one thing everyone should have in their closet. They are so versatile and so easy to throw on to complete a look. No matter what your style is — girly, sporty, edgy — a jean jacket will work for you. They look good with skirts, dresses, pants, just anything. A little trick I like to use when I feel like my outfit needs something, but maybe it’s too warm for a jacket, is to tie a jean jacket around my waist. It’s also a really great tool to give an all black outfit a little bit of color. I found mine at Savers for $10.

Leggings

If anyone ever tells you that you can’t wear leggings as pants, they are wrong. Leggings are so comfortable and so easily transformed from casual to dressier. If you’re lounging around your house in leggings and a T-shirt and your friends call to go out, all you have to do is change that tee to a cute sweater, or a nicer shirt with a jacket, put on some cute boots and that’s it. Leggings with oversized sweaters, flannels, or T-shirts make a super comfortable, easy and cute outfit. You can get plain black ones at H&M for only $10.

The Pea Coat

Pea coats are my all-time favorite winter coat. They have such a classic, New Yorker look. Since they come in almost every color imaginable, they can go with anyone’s style. Whether short or long, they keep you warm while looking stylish. It’s always better with coats to go with more neutral colors that can be paired with many different things so you can get the best use out of it. I got my mustard yellow one at Savers for $10.

Tights

I love tights. I wear them with every skirt or dress I wear. Not only do they look sleek, they also are practical in the colder months to keep your legs warmer so you don’t have to put away your favorite dress for winter just yet. With all the fun patterns and colors it’s easy to give your outfit a little pop of fun. You can find tons of options at places like Target or H&M, all for around $10.

Riding Style or Tall Boots

Tall boots are not just for riding horses. They are so trendy right now and very stylish. They look adorable with leggings or skinny jeans and are practical too. You won’t have to worry about snow getting in them, and if you do because the snow is that high then maybe you should give yourself a day off. They really give the illusion that an outfit is a bit dressier than you might think it is, which is good if you’re running late and don’t have a lot of time to plan an outfit. I got mine on sale at Payless ShoeSource for $30.

Red Lipstick

Every girl in the world has the ability to rock the red lip trend; you just have to find your shade. The red lips really give your look a pop of fun color and give you the confidence you need to conquer the world. Whether you’re wearing a jean jacket and black skinny jeans, or a formal ball gown, red lips are a must for completing certain looks. You can find tons of different shades or brands at any drug store or neighborhood Kroger for around $6.

Emily Modrowski is a second-year communication major.

• Rosario

Leggings are my best friend and I am convinced that leggings are pants, maybe because they’re the only pants I own. LOL Leggings go with every thing I own even with just a plain T shirt.

[Reply]