A half-theatre and half-musical holiday event for the whole family

Anna Glore, Staff Reporter

The Center for Performing Arts will be hosting Ha-Ha-Holidays, a part-theatre, part-musical event that will be giving students and their families a chance to celebrate the holidays in a unique and fun way.

The event is open to the public on Dec.14 from 3-4:15 p.m. in Doermann Theatre.

“It’s great to have a big holiday spectacular. I’m really excited to see the theatre department and the music department working together to create something,” said Ed Lingan, interim chair of the department of theatre and film.

Lingan said that it is to be a very big, spectacular variety show composed of various parts. Students will be acting out classic Christmas specials such as “Rudolph” and “A Year Without Santa Claus,” as well as many other theatrical and musical pieces.

Lingan said that the event is “absolutely family-friendly.”

“It is very light-hearted, and it is a lot of fun,” Lingan said. “Like most holiday spectaculars, this piece is to entertain and to bring people holiday cheer, and I think anybody can benefit from that.”

Lingan said both the theatre and music departments have been collaborating to ensure that the event is entertaining.

“It has been a lot of fun working with the department of music, and also working with the theatre faculty to put it together. I think it should be very entertaining,” Lingan said.

The event is open to the public with a general admission price of $10, $5 for students and small children will get in for free. Tickets may be purchased online at http://tinyurl.com/HaHaHolidays.

“Expect an event that is part-theatre, part-concert. In some ways it’s going to move forward like a standard concert; different groups will be on stage performing,” said Angela Riddel, promotions specialist for the departments of art, music and theatre.

Riddel said that they plan to have all ensembles on the stage at all times throughout the performance.

There is also an additional part to the event that will be happening prior to the show.

Nathaniel Leonard, a piano faculty member, will play and take requests before the concert starts, Riddel said.

There will be golf carts shuttling those who attend to and from parking lots before and after the show.

Riddel said that they are still seeking volunteers to drive carts, and can do so by contacting her at [email protected] or by signing up in the CPA.

The concert will provide the audience with a wide variety of music, according to Riddel.

“There will be some performances from the symphony orchestra, from the opera; it’s really going to be a wide-ranging thing because all of the different ensemble groups are involved,” Riddel said.

Riddel said she hopes that this will promote all of the talent and the abilities of the theatre and music departments.

Riddel said that this will display many different forms of talent, all in order to celebrate the holidays in a fun and creative way.

“This is a concert that is pretty varied in a nice presentation of all of the different types of ensembles that the UT music department has,” Riddel said.