AIDS awareness gala featured dancing, speakers and poetry

Andrea Harris

Josie Schreiber, Staff Reporter

The 5th annual AIDS awareness gala was held on Dec. 5 at 7 p.m. The gala was planned and executed by the University of Toledo’s African Peoples’ Association.

The gala kicked off with a performance by UT’s gospel choir. The choir performed a song called “God’s got a Blessing,” written by Norman Hutchins.

After the opening performance, gala hosts Victor Aberdeen and Rachel Rovniak introduced Melody Orlu who performed “Stand Up For Love,” originally by Destiny’s Child.

The UT Fire Squad followed with a dance selection.

Free HIV tests were made available to all attendees. Everyone who was tested received a $10 gift card to Wal-Mart.

Aberdeensaid there were about 60-70 people in attendance.

N_AIDSGala2COLORwebppAndrea Harris

Aberdeen, president of APA and the host of the gala said keeping people informed of safe sex practices and other preventative measures are the best way to eradicate the HIV/AIDS virus.

“Medical advances have enabled patients to be able to live comfortable, productive and active lives with HIV/AIDS,” Aberdeen said. “But reducing the transmission of the virus as much as possible is our best bet.”

A portion of gala ticket sales were given to Doctors Without Borders to help fund Ebola relief in West Africa as well as the Ann Wayson Locher Foundation.

Immaculate Sappy, member of the Student National Pharmaceutical Association and representative of Remember the Ribbon HIV/AIDS said the most important thing to stopping the disease is to raise awareness.

“It’s all about starting that conversation,” Sappy said. “People don’t want to talk about it.”

Kayla Huston, a second-year criminal justice major, attended the gala for the first time this year and said she was very excited to attend.

“I was interested because AIDS is a very large topic,” Huston said. “I believe there is a cure out there.”

During the gala, Aberdeen also spoke about how Ebola has had a catastrophic effect on the way of life in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea.

He also spoke about how cutting off contact with the affected countries would not solve the issue of the disease.

“The economies are at a standstill, children aren’t going to school, entire families are being wiped out,” Aberdeen said.