Lutz: Baby it’s cold outside

Devan Lutz, IC Columnist

As 2015 welcomes a new semester full of new classes, new friends and new opportunities, it also welcomes bitter cold temperatures. O.K., so maybe not exactly “welcomes,” but winter is here, whether we like it or not. After trudging across an ice-laden campus, with a frozen nose, achy ears and toes that you can barely feel, it is also that time of year when your dorm room, apartment or house finally starts to feel like a home, providing shelter from the cold. Very few things feel as good as finally being able to take off your bulky boots and sopping socks, unzip your bulky coat and relax on a warm, comfy couch.

Now, imagine not having that nice cozy feeling of comfort. Imagine having to battle a Toledo winter without any warm place to call home. Imagine not even having a proper coat. Warmth provides comfort that every person should know, but sadly there are people in our community who spend the majority of their winter outdoors, without a break form the harsh seasonal weather, oftentimes fighting for their lives when the temperatures drop drastically.

How many of you, or your parents, have a coat closet filled with your old winter coats? You know the old, out of style, unflattering coats you used to wear sledding that you have either outgrown or replaced. Admit it, you can’t even remember the last time anyone wore one, yet for some reason, most of us feel compelled to keep our old coats. But trust me, you won’t miss that old, fluffy, tri-colored parka you rocked all throughout high school. However, someone less fortunate would appreciate the warmth that your old coat could provide for them.

How many of you have a pile of mismatched single socks or leftover gloves from past winters, who have lost their mates? Can you spare a winter hat or two? How about some extra blankets or throws lying around the house? We so easily forget and take advantage of these comforting items that help make our winters bearable. But the less fortunate and homeless people in our community don’t care if your old coat isn’t the latest style, they don’t care if their socks or gloves match, they don’t care if that old blanket is pilling, they just want the comfort that comes from being warm.

The Cherry Street Mission in downtown Toledo is a place where the less fortunate and homeless people can go to get help they need. The Cherry Street Mission accepts food, clothing and household items to better aid people in need within our community. The Cherry Street Mission provides 880 meals to homeless men, women and children of Toledo every day. So why not clear out some space and get rid of some of your used, older winter items, while helping people in need? It’s a win-win.

If you are interested in donating clothing, such as coats, socks, gloves, hats, scarves, etc., you can drop off your donations at The Life Bridge Center: 3342 Monroe St., Toledo, OH. Their donation hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday. Their phone number is 419-705-8953. The center is the site of the Clothing Your Community clothing bank, where 15,220 visits were made by grateful men, women and children in Toledo.

If you are interested in donating food, drop off donations at The Madison Food Service and Community Center: 1919 W. Madison St. Toledo, OH, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Sunday. Their phone number is 419-242-0068.

So go pull out that old winter gear, gather your friends and their old winter clothes, and make a quick trip downtown to donate. Not only will you feel like you did something selfless and good for you community, but you might just end up saving someone’s life this winter!

Devan Lutz is a third-year communication major.