Date night dress up: For men

Adellyn mcpheron

Fashion columnist, Emily Mowdrowski, and Associate Community Editor, Joe Heidenescher pose for a photo wearing their date night clothing choices.

Joe Heidenescher, Associate Community Editor

Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, and if you’re lucky you might have a date to prep for. Here are some tips on how to dapper up and impress whoever you’re taking out. If your gentlemanly skills match your on-point outfit, then you should have no problem scoring another date.

Shirts

No matter what type of date you go on, a dress shirt is a must. Even though it’s Valentine’s Day, I’m going to advise you against a solid-red dress shirt. Solid colors are boring. Instead, find a nice dress shirt with a pattern, and not a distracting one. Plaid, checkers, stripes and small patterns are in style right now. Depending on where you are going for your date it will determine how many colors should be in your pattern. If it is classier, stick to only two color patterns. Unless you’re wearing cufflinks, it is OK to roll up your sleeves.

Layers

The key to an on-point outfit is a layered effect. Since it is colder outside, it works well to wear sweaters and blazers. A plain gray sweater or cardigan will match almost any type of dress shirt you wear underneath it. A sweater and dress shirt combo give a more casual vibe which would be okay for a coffee date or the movies, but if you’re going out to a nicer dinner, I suggest a blazer. Do not wear your black funeral blazer. Go to a store like Marshall’s or TJ Maxx and buy a blazer of a different color. Blue blazers work well with a lot of different patterns and colors. For the full effect, wear your gray sweater underneath your new blazer, and you’ll be layered well and warm.

Adellyn mcpheron

Neckwear

A real gentleman doesn’t forget his neckwear. Depending on the type of date, you can wear a bowtie or a skinny tie. Bowties are an excellent way to add some class to your layered look. You can wear patterned or solid-colored bowties, but make sure they match your dress shirt. Don’t wear a navy shirt with a navy bowtie; instead wear a pink shirt with a patterned navy bowtie. For regular ties, I suggest wearing skinny solid-color ties. With any patterned dress shirt, you don’t want a patterned tie — that’s too much for the eye to handle. Your ties can be worn with sweaters or blazers, but to keep it from flying all over the place, buy a gold or silver tie clip to hold it in place. If your date isn’t the most formal, you can also unbutton the top few buttons on your dress shirt — but not too many buttons, save that for the bedroom.

Extras

In addition to the layers and ties, you’re going to probably want a nicer watch. Leather-strapped watches are what I would suggest for a date — they refine the look. Don’t wear too much other jewelry; you probably don’t want to be wearing more than your date. As for cologne, it is a must on the musk. Wear your signature, or favorite cologne (that is not Axe body spray; this isn’t junior high). Remember, when putting on a scent, do not go overboard. One or two sprays is more than enough.

Maybe with these tips in mind, you’ll have a nice Valentine’s Day date. With a great attitude and kickass outfit, you’ll be a shoe-in for another date. Good luck gentlemen, and stay classy.

Joe Heidenescher is a second-year English major.