Toledo mayor remembered

Adellyn McPheron

The memorial service for Mayor D. Michael Collins was held Feb. 11 in Savage Arena. About 2,000 people were in attendance to celebrate the life of the mayor after he passed away Feb. 6.

Torrie Jadlocki, Staff Reporter

About 2,000 people paid homage to Mayor D. Michael Collins Feb. 11 during his memorial service at the University of Toledo’s Savage Arena.

Toledo citizens celebrated the life of the mayor after his passing on Feb. 6, arriving as much as an hour before the service to pay respects to the mayor one last time. They filed in with their heads bowed and some with tears in their eyes. The red, white and blue floral arrangements accompanied the vintage police car to set the scene for the mayor’s memorial.

The service began with an invocation by Imam Shamsuddin Waheed from the Toledo Masjid of Al-Islam and concluded with a benediction by Monsignor Christopher Vasko from the Historic Church of Saint Patrick.

“In spite of the wonderful terms we like to use — greatness and great leadership, and great this and great that, the Mike I knew was a person who was humble enough…that he did not have to be the mayor to be the center of attention,” Monsignor Vasko said.

Jerry Anderson, news anchor for WTOL, served as the event’s master of ceremonies and described Collins as one of his dear friends.

“The program says celebrate the life of D. Michael Collins, and so that is what we are going to do,” Anderson said. “There is so much to celebrate.”

Nagi Naganathan, UT interim president, expressed his grief at the passing of the local leader and gave his condolences on behalf of the university community.

“These are times of deep grief and deep grieving,” Naganathan said. “These are times for deep reflections. And as counter-intuitive as it may seem, these are times for celebrations as well … I cannot think of a better way, or a more fitting way, to honor Mayor Collins, both in format and in venue.”

Collins’ former partner, retired Toledo Police Detective Ron Scanlon, took time to share some of his memories of Collins on the police force.

“Mike and I became close friends back in the 70s when Mike was assigned to the Vice Narcotics unit,” ScanIon said. “I knew from the minute we started working investigations that Mike was something special.”

Robert Reinbolt, city chief of staff, said Collins was a “joy to work with,” both as the mayor and as a man.

“I always used to dread council meetings when Mike would ask me a question,” Reinbolt said. “First, it was never just a simple question. It was always some complex thing you would need a Ph.D. to understand, thus giving him the nickname ‘the Professor,’ by many of us.”

Matt Sapara, the Toledo city director of development, shared stories about the mayor in office and discussed his professional characteristics that attributed to his success.

“The mayor’s economic vision was so simple and straightforward, and that is what makes it so effective,” Sapara said.

Paula Hicks-Hudson, the current mayor of Toledo, presented the city’s flag to Collins’ widow, Sandra Drabik.

“Regardless of his position, he was prepared,” Hicks-Hudson said. “Having done his homework, he had his pulse on his district. And when he became mayor, he had his pulse on the city.”

One recurring theme of the evening was Collins’ commitment to serving the community.

“No amount of time on this earth could have satisfied his thirst for service to his fellow man,” Naganathan said.

A number of the speakers told stories of Collins’ love of pranks and practical jokes. According to Anderson, these stories helped show the lively, happy person Collins was.

Anderson also said Collins placed a large emphasis on mentorship throughout his life, constantly working on “building and equipping the next generation.”

As well as a husband, Collins was also the father of three daughters and grandfather to eight grandchildren.

“Family was important to Collins,” Reinbolt said, “and he always encouraged his staff to put their family first.”

The service featured music from the St. Francis de Sales High School choir and the Toledo Fire Rescue Department Pipe and Drum Corps.

Collins’ funeral was held Feb. 12 at the Rosary Cathedral on Collingwood Boulevard.

Comments