Two University of Toledo administrators set to leave for the University of Akron in April

Trevor Stearns, Associate News Editor

Two more administrators are set to leave the University of Toledo in April, taking positions instead at the University of Akron.

Larry Burns, vice president for external affairs, and Godfrey Ovwigho, vice president for information technology, will both move to new positions at Akron.

Burns said his new position will be the vice president for advancement.

Ovwigho will become the chief information officer upon his transition to Akron, according to the (Akron) Beacon Journal.

Ovwigho declined to comment on his job change.

Currently, Burns works with the Office of Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement, the Center for Creative Instruction, Office of University Communications and Office of University Marketing.

Burns said his new position will be “much broader” than his job at UT.

“This includes all of the enrollment initiatives, all of the government relations initiatives, all of the Akron Foundation activities, all of the marketing, communications and branding activities,” Burns said.

Bobbi Vaughan, director of the Center for Creative Instruction, said working with Burns was a good experience.

“I really enjoyed working with Larry — he was a great mentor,” she said. “He was always interested: if we had a problem, we could come to him. He would always help us through different situations.”

Vaughan said she has been working with Burns since “the MCO days” but has only reported directly to him for the past couple of years.

Shanda Gore, associate vice president for equity, diversity and community, has also worked with Burns for the past few years and that it was wonderful to work with and for him.

“I have to say that working with him has really been a delight. He understands culture building, he understands marketing and branding and relationship building,” Gore said. “It has been wonderful to see that and help with the building of relationships, especially amongst the diverse communities that we have both on and off campus.”

Burns said he was looking to move on to Akron in order to incorporate all of the experience he gained while at UT.

“It’s an opportunity to take most of my experiences I’ve had over the last 30 or 35 years and incorporate them into one position,” Burns said. “That was the main reason that I saw it as a great opportunity.”

Burns said he does not think UT has anybody lined up to take his position and the fact that UT is still searching for its new president will determine how quickly the institution will move.

Gore said she was not nervous about having someone new take over Burns’ position.

“Diversity is one of our core values as an institution. It’s part of our mission, and diversity doesn’t change based on a person — it’s really embedded in our culture,” Gore said. “I think we’ve worked really hard to make sure that’s in place.”

According to Vaughan, Burns wasn’t afraid to try new things and was really trying to do good things for the university in terms of marketing and branding UT.

With Burns’ departure, Gore said it is always tough to see someone who has done so much for the UT community leave.

“When you have a change and have somebody who is leaving who has contributed to the institution, I’m not sure that sad is the right word,” Gore said. “I’m excited for him because he is excited about this opportunity, yet at the same time, I know this is a loss for the university.”

She also said that she is hopeful that the next president will be able to find somebody with the right qualities to fill Burns’ shoes.

Burns said he hopes Tie One On continues to be a UT tradition, even after he leaves.

“I hope that it continues to grow and I hope to come back for it each year,” Burns said. “The students are now a very big part of it so I hope that tradition continues.”

He said he will think about spreading Tie One On to the University of Akron and see if they are interested in it.

Burns said he will miss UT and what he accomplished during his time here.

“I’m very grateful for all that UT has done for me over my career here,” Burns said. “The thing that I will miss the most are my colleagues and the students.”

• THroughthefog1

Currently, Burns works with the Office of Equity, Diversity and Community Engagement, the Center for Creative Instruction — What the hell is that??? Our universities have the dumbest positions

[Reply]