How to assess a potential apartment

Samantha Rhodes, Managing Editor

Considering which apartment complex will best suit your needs as a tenant can be a long and tedious process.

However, before you sign a lease, here are some tips that will help you quickly separate the quality apartments from the sub par ones.

5 warning signs:
Evidence of pests

Shine a flashlight in the nooks and crannies of cabinets in the kitchen and bathroom. Other common hiding places for pests include under the refrigerator and laundry room appliances.

If you see bug droppings, which look like black pepper, or mice droppings, which resemble maggot-shaped black pellets, then it’s time to start looking elsewhere.

Warping and stains

Leaks in the ceiling or under a sink can potentially turn into mold problems, so take a close look at ceilings for blotches of discoloration.

Signs of warped wood or linoleum under bathroom and kitchen cabinets, black specks along baseboards or damp-feeling carpet are all sure signs that the landlord isn’t fixing these mold and mildew related problems.

Obvious odors or drafts

If a room smells musty, moist, smoky or like bug spray, these strange odors mean there’s an underlying problem the landlord doesn’t want to tell you about.

A lack of working smoke detectors

If the landlord doesn’t care enough to install or replace a smoke detector’s batteries, he or she doesn’t value the tenants’ safety.

A burglary bulletin board in the office

If the complex office has a burglary bulletin board that’s covered, chances are your area has a high crime rate. Be sure to check out the surrounding houses near the apartment, not just the complex itself.

5 good signs:
Good lighting and availability in the parking lot

If the parking lot seems to have spaces available during all times of day, there’s a good chance you’ll be able to snag a spot without waiting. The guest parking policy is also important to ask about if you plan on having people visit. Good lighting and visibility at night means the landlord cares about your safety.

Positive reviews from the neighbors

Knock on doors and talk directly to the neighbors within the complex about how responsive the landlord is. Does he or she respond quickly to maintenance requests and act professional? These people will give you honest reviews based on firsthand experience.

A new-looking water heater and other appliances

Having hot water is vital — the newer the water heater looks, the less chance you’ll be stuck taking cold showers. Other appliances will also work more effectively the newer they are.

A phone number for a maintenance person

Good apartments have a phone number tenants can call for a maintenance person — even after hours. Inquire about how many maintenance people work on the property, how to get in touch with them, and when they are available.

Soundproof walls and insulation

Some apartments have a concrete sheet between the walls and under the floors to minimize outdoor sounds, such as street traffic.

Ask the landlord about details such as insulation that you can’t see with the naked eye.