Water main break causes utility issues

Amanda Pitrof

The water main break on Main Campus happened early Tuesday, Feb. 24. The water main on Stadium Drive froze and broke due to the extreme cold. All restaurants in the Student Union and water fountains were shut down and will not be restored until the weekend.

Colleen Anderson, Associate News Editor

Hungry students flocking to the Student Union were disappointed to find the restaurants closed after a water main break on Main Campus.

The break happened early Tuesday morning Feb. 24, shutting down all restaurants and water fountains in the Student Union.

Members of the facilities and maintenance department could not be reached for comment. However, according to a statement by Associate Vice President of Facilities Jason Toth in UTNews, the break is at the foot of the hill by the Glass Bowl and was caused by the temperature.

“Due to the extreme cold, the water main on Stadium Drive froze and broke,” Toth said.

He also said the water pressure for all surrounding buildings was lowered, including the Savage Steam Plant. The effects included a decrease in the temperature of other buildings.

“We’re working to repair immediately, but it may take several hours. We have been forced to cut back heat in most buildings as we work to make repairs. You may notice buildings beginning to feel cool. Thank you for your understanding,” Toth said.

Toth said an independent contractor will be brought in to assist with repairs, and that he will keep the rest of the UT community updated as things develop.

UTNews said in addition to closing the eateries in the Student Union, water was also shut down to Savage Arena, Larimer Athletic Complex and Health Education Building.

The men’s basketball game against Northern Illinois was also postponed due to the water issues, and has been rescheduled for Wednesday, Feb. 25, according to UTNews.

Jose Viloria, a first-year majoring in electrical engineering, said his usual schedule was disrupted by the break.

“In my case, I always eat here in the Student Union, so that’s a problem for me,” Viloria said. “I didn’t get breakfast, so I was waiting to eat here.”

Zachary Mercurio, a first-year majoring in psychology, said while it did not affect him directly, he could see how it would affect other students.

“A lot of the food places closed down, so, you know, if someone was planning on eating, then they might have to make other plans, and arrange to get food or go somewhere else, so it might throw a wrench in someone’s plans,” Mercurio said.

Nadine Sarsour, a second-year majoring in biochemistry, mentioned being inconvenienced by the cold.

“I was kind of upset, because especially the building I was in, also, was really cold. Basically the hallways had absolutely no heat, at least in Bowman Oddy,” Sarsour said.

According to Sarsour, she had also been planning on going to the rec center later in the day, but chose not to go once learning they did not have heat.

“I feel like this happens every year. A lab I worked in last year also had a water pipe burst in the lab and ruined a lot of things, so I think they just need to be able to maintain that better, especially in the winter, because I know it’s really cold and the weather’s really severe around here,” Sarsour said.

According to UTNews, water was restored early Tuesday evening; however, water is still under a 72-hour boil advisory, and food service for the Student Union will not be restored until the weekend. Subway and Starbucks are planned to reopen at noon Saturday, Feb. 27. The rest of the building is expected to resume business as usual on Monday, March 1.

This is the second water main break at UT this year. The first one occurred on Jan. 20, and water was shut off in the Main Campus Medical Center, International House, Academic House and Sullivan Hall.

A notice released two days later on the Facilities and Construction webpage said the water was restored and had been declared safe to drink by the City of Toledo.

A heating issue in the Center for Performing Arts on Feb. 16 also caused class cancellations due to a bad release valve.

Comments