Sim Center named after Lloyd Jacobs

Colleen Anderson and Samuel Derkin

The University of Toledo renamed the Interprofessional Immersive Simulation Center after former president Lloyd Jacobs at a program and reception on March 19.

The decision to name the IISC after Jacobs was made by UT’s Board of Trustees.

Joseph Zerbey, president of UT’s Board of Trustees, said the simulation center would be named after Jacobs in appreciation of his many contributions to UT.

“At Toledo, your presidency has elevated the university to the national stage as one of the most comprehensive and relevant universities in the United States,” Zerbey said at the reception, addressing Jacobs.

As well as renaming the building in honor of him, Jacobs’ presidential portrait was also unveiled.

“I am, you may guess, deeply grateful for your friendship, for your support, and indeed all I really have to say on this occasion is ‘thank you,’” said Jacobs.

The IISC is located on the UT Medical Campus, and opened in 2014. The building makes use of 3D and Virtual Immersive environments for education purposes, and various floors contain a Virtual Immersive Reality Center, an Advanced Clinical Simulation Center and a Progressive Anatomy and Surgical Skills Center.

The simulation center is meant to provide a space where people from numerous disciplines can work together, according to the College of Medicine’s dean, Chris Cooper.

“Not only is it a simulation center but it’s also interprofessional, and we’re really interested in the idea of team care,” Cooper said. “So teams of folks working together, pharmacists, nurses, X-ray techs, physicians, all of these folks in training need to learn how to work together to deliver high-quality physician center care.”

Previously, Lloyd Jacobs served as the sixteenth president of UT and as president of the Medical College of Ohio before they merged with UT in 2006.

• JackPumpkin

Because Lloyd Jacobs oversaw a mere simulation of a quality university. Got it.

[Reply]