New sheriff in town

A.J. Montoya leads the Rocekts in 10 offensive categories for impressive start of the season

Photo courtesy of UT Athletics

UT freshman catcher A.J. Montoya (pictured above from a game earlier this season) came into the starting role in the second game of the season and has been in the every day lineup ever since. He has 30 hits in 27 games played.

Marcus Dodson, Associate Sports Editor

The casual fan may not realize that A.J. Montoya is only a freshman.

Toledo’s rookie catcher currently leads the team in ten offensive categories. He has a .313 batting average, 15 RBI’s and five home runs.

And Montoya is only 26 games into his collegiate career.

“I’m just seeing the ball really well and not having much trouble picking it up,” he said.

“It looks like a beach ball coming at me.”

Montoya has shocked himself with his early success at the collegiate level and if told he would post these numbers at the start of the season, well the freshman gave a modest answer.

“I wouldn’t have believed it. When I came into the season all I wanted to do was work hard and try to earn a starting job. Everything else has just worked itself out.”

Montoya’s journey into the starting lineup began last fall with grueling hours spent in the weight room and many practices spent on improving his blocking techniques behind the plate. He was determined to do whatever it took to catch the attention of University of Toledo Head Coach Cory Mee.

“[Montoya] is an excellent player,” Mee said. “We knew he would have an impact on our season based on the fall and the preseason. You never really know what kind of impact that’s going to be going into the season, but he has gotten off to a great start and it doesn’t surprise me.

“He plays the game the way we hope all our guys play. He does everything to help our team win.”

In his very first collegiate game against Belmont on February 14, Montoya reached base four times, including two RBI’s and a run scored. The Michigan native has produced nine multiple hit games, a testament to the way he attacks the ball at the plate.

“He has a really good approach from the plate,” Mee said. “When he gets a good pitch to hit, he takes advantage of it and does something with it. He’s not taking it for a strike, or fouling it off, he’s hitting it and hitting it hard somewhere.”

This aggressive approach has brought with it a high number of strike outs. Montoya leads the team with 31 sitdowns on the season.

“[Montoya is] learning what pitches he can handle and what pitches he needs to lay off until he has two strikes,” Mee said. “The only way to find that out is to swing [the bat] and see what you can do.

“As he continues to develop and mature as a hitter, he will strike out less. But that’s something I’m not worried about.”

Montoya’s slugging percentage is .531, but he is more than just an offensive player. He has the ability to play multiple positions, and has spent time at catcher and at each outfield position.

“That versatility is key for us,” Mee said. “He does a good job everywhere we put him. It allows us to keep his bat in the lineup and utilize the strength of our team against the opposition each game by moving other players around.”

The way Montoya brings the same approach from game to game has impressed all of his teammates, including senior RHP Cameron Palmer.

“[Montoya] plays the game like he’s been here before,” Palmer said. “He’s real calm and collected and doesn’t try to do anything above his ability. He just plays the game.”

Montoya’s attitude, along with his performance, has earned the trust of his teammates and coach.

“I trust him,” Palmer said. “If I need to throw something down in the dirt, he can be a wall and stop it.”

His collegiate career may just be getting started, but he’s already making a name for himself as a Rocket.

“He has inspired our team,” Mee said. “Not just with his performance, but the way he plays the game. He plays the game with a lot of energy and hustle.

“When you play that way, it’s contagious and impacts the team in a positive way.”