Mandel: Students and leaders should be applauded for supporting U.S. Israel relationship

Josh Mandel

Editor’s note: This column was submitted independently by Treasurer of Ohio, Josh Mandel.

As Treasurer of the State of Ohio, I was proud to learn about the numerous individuals on campus who recently stood up against the Israel divestment effort by the University of Toledo Student Government.

These individuals include Chairman of the UT Board Joe Zerbey, Board Member Steve Cavanaugh, Interim President Nagi Naganathan, Foundation President Brenda Lee and students Kelli Market and LaVelle Ridley. I write today to publicly stand with them and applaud them for protecting the American values of freedom and democracy that we hold dear. I also write today to publicly stand with every student, faculty member and Board member who recognizes the importance of the U.S.-Israel relationship.

And to the small group of students and faculty at UT who are so out of touch with most Americans that they actually side with radical Islamic groups like Hamas over democratic allies like Israel, my message is clear:

Not only do I reject your call for divestment from Israel, but to the contrary, I proudly stand by the millions of dollars that Democratic and Republican Ohio Treasurers have invested in Israel Bonds over the past decade – including the $105 million in the current Ohio Treasury portfolio.

Israel Bonds have not only been a strong investment for Ohio taxpayers, but these investments also send the message that as American policy leaders, we recognize Israel as our friend, ally and beacon of American values in the Middle East.

For instance, in many locations in the Middle East, equal rights and democracy are not the standard. However, in Israel, women are treated equal to men, democracy is embraced and celebrated like in America, and the justice system operates with the same independence and rule-of-law that we cherish here in the United States.

In Israel, Arab citizens are protected, do not have to fear for human rights aggressions, and can live in a society that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender and beliefs. Moreover, Arab families in Israel have one of the highest standards of living in the entire Middle East.

Israel is also proud to claim amongst its citizenry over 160,000 Christians. In Israel, these Christians live in safety and peace among their Jewish and Muslim neighbors, just as one would observe on the streets of Toledo or Columbus.

Israel is the only country in the Middle East that values the same level of freedom of speech and freedom of religion that we hold dear in America. As Dwight Eisenhower said in 1952 and still holds true today, “Israel is democracy’s outpost in the Middle East.�?

I was truly inspired by what Mr. Zerbey, Mr. Cavanaugh, Dr. Naganathan, Ms. Lee, Ms. Market and Mr. Ridley did recently when they stood strong for the values we hold dear as Americans and for the tight bond America has shared over many generations with the state of Israel. I encourage students, faculty and staff across campus to join them.

11 Comments

• Jay

Great points. Great article. Thank you Josh for speaking the truth.

[Reply]

haha Reply:

Truth? HA! Politifact had this to say about his 2012 campaign to become a US Senator:

“Mandel’s campaign was singled out by the independent fact-checking group Politifact for its “casual relationship with the truth” and its tendency to “double down” after inaccuracies were pointed out. The fact-checking group wrote: “For all the gifts Mandel has, from his compelling personal narrative as an Iraq war veteran to a well-oiled fundraising machine, whoppers are fast becoming a calling card of his candidacy.”

Yeah, he must really be truthful. Just like in this article. What a joke.

[Reply]

Jay Reply:

I think your name sums up how seriously we should take anything you have to say!

[Reply]

haha Reply:

And why shouldn’t you? HaHa are my initials. Got a problem with that?

Jay Reply:

Even better, your parents even knew you were a joke the day they named you lol

• Ronald Carr

I guess no mention of the senators that took all the heat fighting for the right side

[Reply]

Rami Reply:

At least the good to come out of all of this is you not being voted back in for the 51st session.

[Reply]

SH Reply:

Yeah. It’s because you were nothing but a pawn for them. Wake up.

[Reply]

haha Reply:

Yeah Fedora man, he glossed over your talented theatrical performance! How does it feel to be snubbed?

[Reply]

• haha

What in the world?! First of all, 57.1% of students in the referendum and 21 of 25 in the senate vote approved divestment, so “small group of students and faculty at UT” my —. Second, this “Israel-US relationship” is akin to a weak parent and a spoiled child. Third, who said we’re divesting from Israel bonds??? Fourth, thanks for the recycled propaganda points and tokenizing Palestinians, Christians, and ignoring the crimes which you know you can’t defend. Fifth, “ho are so out of touch with most Americans that they actually side with radical Islamic groups like Hamas over democratic allies like Israel” strawman! The strawman!

[Reply]

• JackPumpkin

Weird that a statewide elected official would wade into this. It’s not the first time Mandel has shown questionable judgment.

[Reply]