Toledo’s basketball teams participated in their fourth annual Navy SEAL team building program

Photo Courtesy of UT Athletics

Players from both the Men’s and Women’s basketball teams participated in training exercises used during SEAL training last week. The program is designed to build mental toughness, leadership skills and communicating as a team. The program was developed by former Navy SEAL John McGuire.

Jenna Nance, Staff Reporter

The men’s and women’s basketball teams at the University of Toledo participated in their fourth consecutive team-building training through SEAL Team Physical Training, Inc. this past week.

John McGuire, former Navy SEAL, founded the SEAL Team Physical Training, Inc. in 1998 to help people view fitness as a gateway to a better life.

The program is designed to advance leadership skills, mental toughness and communication with an overall goal of proving the value of teamwork. Taking place in Fetterman Training Center and at Olander Park, both teams participated in both mental and physical drills instilling the importance of leadership and how it correlates on the court.

McGuire created the program to help people overcome their obstacles and to help them be better people. His passion for helping others came from overcoming adversity himself.

After breaking his neck in 2006, McGuire was told by his doctor he wouldn’t make it through the night, let alone walk again. After a long and grueling recovery he has been given a second chance and is not only walking, but also leading this high-intensity program all over the world.

“Life can change on a dime,” McGuire said. “Something could happen tomorrow and that’s it, so what do you want to leave on earth? Where do you want to leave your legacy?”

Over the past four years Tricia Cullop and Todd Kowalczyk — the women’s and men’s head coaches — have had their teams participate in this program in hopes of giving them a learning experience like no other.

“All these things are skills that the Navy SEALS use to survive with,” Kowalczyk said. “We have so much respect in our program for the military, so to learn from the best of the best is only going to help us.”

Cullop has also enjoyed watching her team grow and learn as they step outside of their comfort zone.

“I’m always learning who my leaders are going to be,” Cullop said. “This really helps me see who my captains are going to be.”

Cullop will be leaning heavily on senior guards, Brenae Harris and Ana Capotosto after the departure of Inma Zanoguera. Both shown improvement during the past SEAL trainings and Cullop has enjoyed seeing their progress.

“I love this group,” Cullop said. “The chemistry is very good; we have exciting players and a deep team.”

Senior Center Nathan Boothe, looks to lead the men’s team on the court but was unable to finish the program this year due to an ankle sprain during the training.

“We did everything from rowing the boat as a team, carrying the boat over our heads, carrying sandbags, climbing ropes, a bunch of pushups, sit-ups and other activities like those. Everything was as a team,” Boothe said.

“You push through adversity, even though you’re tired you have three Navy SEALS pushing you and they’re the toughest human beings on earth. So just being around them was great.”

Junior guard Jonathan Williams is hoping to gain and maintain his mental toughness skills to help grow him as a leader.

“Our past guards were leaders for me so now I have to step up and be a leader, just like they were,” Williams said.

Both coaches are excited to get the season 2015 season underway and to compete for a Mid-American Conference championship.

Cullop feels good being a couple weeks ahead after just finishing their European trip this past summer, but knows the women’s team still has a lot to improve on.

Kowalczyk considers this training a great learning tool for the program and hopes to see that show on the court as well. The men’s team may be young and inexperienced, but they are talented as well.

“It helps our communication,” Kowalczyk said. “It helps playing as a unit and being selfless teammates and it all correlates to how you play on the court.

“Not only does this training make you to be a better player, but a better person as well and that is why it is so valuable for Toledo Basketball.”