Rockets take flight

Freshman Vince Anzalone wins Flight C singles title at Purdue Invitational

Photo Courtesy of UT Athletics

Toledo freshman Vince Anzalone started off his collegiate career with four straight victories to claim the Flight C singles title at the Purdue Invitational this weekend.

Jackson Rogers, Sports Reporter

The Toledo men’s tennis team started off its 2015 season over the weekend at the Purdue Invitational. Freshman Vince Anzalone started his collegiate career with four straight victories to claim the Flight C singles title.

“It was definitely an experience that I enjoyed,” Anzalone said. “Being in my first college match ever — then, of course, winning the whole flight was just a huge confidence booster for me.”

Anzalone played three consecutive two-set matches before needing a three set decision (0-6,6-3,6-4) in the championship against Southern Illinois’ Alex Pozo.

“[College] is a lot different from high school,” Anzalone said. “It’s a lot more competitive and a lot more non-traditional. The traditions are upheld, and I think that is a good thing because it makes it more fun for the athletes.”

Freshman Reid Teatsorth also made a run to the finals in the Flight E division. Ball State’s Patrick Downs took down the freshman in three sets (3-6, 6-2, 6-4) to take home the Flight E title.

Sophomore Stephen Miller and freshman Juan Carranza both won their first matches of the season in the Flight C division but their success stopped there. Carranza was defeated by Wright State’s Marc Sodini in a hard-fought three-sets (6-3, 5-7, 6-4) to be eliminated from the invitational.

“There were some ups and downs,” said Head Coach Al Wermer. “We’re really proud of Vince and Reid, I think they’ve proved that they put in a lot of hard work over the summer and that was evident over the weekend. It was also evident on how fast they’ve been improving since they’ve been here, which has only been a month.”

All of the Rockets’ doubles teams had little success with each team falling in the second round.

“I think it’s a lot of trial and error,” Wemer said. “The first thing we do is try to matchup our game strengths versus our weaknesses, personality and compatibility.

“I would say those are the three things that go into deciding doubles pairings.”

Anzalone was paired with sophomore Omar Espinosa but lost 8-2 to a team from Eastern Kentucky in Flight A.

Carranza and Teatsworth were defeated 8-4 to the future runners-up Ball State in Flight B. Miller teamed up with freshman Luka Vitosevic in Flight C and dropped a competitive 9-7 decision to a Southern Illinois pair that would lose the championship match to Eastern Kentucky.

“I’m extremely optimistic; I think the guys have an attitude,” Wermer said. “We have a lot of talent; we’re going to be very deep and we also have good talent high in the lineup.”

Toledo will return to the courts this weekend when they will compete in the ITA All-American Tournament on Oct. 3-11 in Tulsa, Okla.