UT drops two to start MAC play

Photo Courtesy of UT Athletics

Toledo’s sophomore Isabella Echeverri (left) chases down a free ball verse WMU.

Jenna Nance, Staff Reporter

The University of Toledo women’s soccer team opened up Mid-American Conference play on the road this past weekend. UT dropped back to back games with a 0-2 defeat on Friday against Northern Illinois and then a close 0-1 on Sunday verses Western Michigan.

The Rockets (4-7-0, 0-2-0 MAC) applied heavy pressure against the Huskies (2-7-0, 2-0-0 MAC) with four first-half shots.

Sophomore midfielder Isa Echeverri had two shots on goal, but both were saved by NIU goalkeeper Mackenzie Lee who had four saves in the matchup.

“We didn’t threaten them [NIU] as much as we were threatened,” said Head Coach T.J. Buchholz. “We were right there; we just need to find a way to score.”

UT took a 0-0 tie into the locker room for halftime.

The Rockets were unlucky in the second half. NIU midfielder Lauren Gierman recorded a brace finding the net in the 60th minute on a direct kick from 50 yards out and again in the 71st minute on an almost identical kick.

Toledo would create one last chance with a shot from junior Kiersten Johnson but the shot sailed wide right.

“We just need to work on putting the final pieces together,” said senior midfielder Megan Connor. “We need to finish our opportunities when we get inside the box.”

The Rockets outshot the Huskies seven-to-four but struggled finishing. They also won four corner kicks in Friday’s contest.

“As a whole, the team is doing very well,” Buchholz said. “We had a tough opponent — good on their home field — and we couldn’t find a goal.”

UT headed to Kalamazoo on Sunday where they found themselves in a defensive battle in a 1-0 loss to Western Michigan (5-2-2, 2-0-0 MAC).

While both teams kept the goalies busy with ten shots apiece, the Broncos scored the single goal in the 85th minute. Western Michigan’s Irene Young scored off a header assisted by Candice Uhl with just five minutes remaining.

“We went into these games with the mindset that we had everything to gain and nothing to lose,” Connor said. “We were going to give everything we had in both games.”

Johnson and sophomore Sophie Pohl, both had multiple shots in the contest but couldn’t convert for the Rockets.

After losing both MAC games the Rockets fell to fifth in the West Division of the MAC standings.

Buchholz and the Rockets are returning to the Glass City, where they will take on Ball State and Miami this weekend. The Cardinals (6-2-2, 2-0-0 MAC) are sitting in second place in the West Division, while the Redhawks (6-3-0, 2-0-0 MAC) sit atop the East Division and have won their last four games.

“We’re excited to be home to show everyone who we are,” Buchholz said. “This is a great team, but our record does not show the type of team we truly are.”

The Rockets have done well in their only two home games of the season, outscoring their opponents 4-1.

“We love playing on our field, being in front of our fans,” Connor said. “So we’re really excited to come back.”

The Rockets look to remain unbeaten at home as they take on Ball State on Friday, Oct. 2 at 4 p.m. and Miami on Sunday, Oct. 4 at 1 p.m. at Scott Park.