In the swing of things

UT’s women win second tournament in seven days

Photo Courtesy of UT Athletics

Senior Morgan Salm watches her shot land on the green on Monday at the Purgatory Golf Club in Noblesville, Ind. She finished the tournament in second place at six-over par.

Justice Sunderland, Sports Reporter

The Toledo women’s golf team captured its second tournament title in less than a week. UT finished first-place at the Mid-American Conference preview on Monday, at the Purgatory Golf Club par-72 golf course in Noblesville, Ind.

“It was a huge indicator of where our confidence was and is,” said UT Head Coach Nicole Hollingsworth. “It is very hard to win a college golf tournament and we’ve won two in about a week.”

UT previously won the Rocket Classic by an overwhelming 34 shots, over second-place finisher Ohio University.

The Rockets blew away the field, finishing with a 10-stroke advantage over second-place Eastern Michigan at 33-over par (897).

UT was led by senior Morgan Salm who finished in second place at six-over par (222).

Salm entered the final day of action tied for tenth place but quickly moved up eight places to help the Rockets take the title.

The University of Akron’s Frida Fougberg finished just one stroke ahead of Salm at five-over par (221) to win the individual title.

Seniors Sathika Ruenreong and Manisa Isavas finished inside the Top 10 at eighth and tied for ninth place respectfully. Ruenreong ended the tournament at nine-over par and Isavas just one shot behind at ten-over par.

“I’ve always said our success is led by our seniors,” Hollingsworth said.

The freshman also carried their weight in the victory. Freshman Pimchnaok Kawil finished tied for fifteenth place at 13-over par and Natcha Daengpiem shot an 18-over par tied for thirty-first place to round out the Rocket’s lineup.

“If you’re going to be in the starting lineup for the Toledo golf team you have to bring it,” Hollingsworth said. “This is the best recruiting class in school history.”

The Rockets will play in only one more tournament this fall in the 38th-annual Pat Bradley Invitational at Florida International University in Lakewood Ranch, Fla. on Oct. 27.

The Toledo men’s golf team also took to the course on Monday and Tuesday, finishing in sixth place at the Crooked Stick Invitational at the Crooked Stick Golf Club in Carmel, Ind.

UT finished the tournament shooting a 44-over par (908) which was 42 strokes behind the champions, Illinois, who finished at two-over par (866).

The Rockets were led by sophomore Stephen Watts who finished tied for eight at four-over par. After Watts, senior Otto Black finished tied for 17th with a 12-over par performance. Sophomore Colin Joseph tied for the 30th spot at 16-over par.

The men’s team will get back to the road when they compete in the Mountaineer Intercollegiate on Monday, Oct. 19-20 in Bridgeport, W.Va.