Feeling comfy while looking fly

Abigail Sullivan

Looking ready for fall, Joe Heidenescher sports the black crewneck over a striped button-down top.

Joe Heidenescher, Features Editor

It’s starting to get a bit nippy outside boys, which means it’s time to put away the basketball shorts, the Nike Elites and burn your Sperry Topsiders (not just because it’s cold, but because they’re ugly). Here are some very simple tips to layering up, staying comfy and to looking like you aren’t hungover and late for class.

First tip: shower, wash, groom, brush, comb, apply, etc.
Do what you need to do to NOT smell. End of that lecture.

Second tip: Sweatpants
Praise God for jogger sweatpants. Nowadays you can slap on a pair of insanely comfy sweats that don’t make you look like you just woke up (which is great for when you did wake up late). I recommend a pair of gray or dark blue that taper down toward your ankle. With a pair of gray sweats you can wear a cardigan, a sports jacket or even a sweater-button down combo. Sweats also allow you wear any type of shoe, with the exception of maybe dress shoes. Rock the sweats pulled up knee-high or tucked into your boots. Just like any sweatpants, beware not to flaunt any family heirlooms.

Third tip: Crewnecks
Are you tired of looking like an accountant with your V-necks? Switch it up and tell your ex to give back all your absconded crewnecks. You need them. Sure you can wear them for just a casual day on the town, but you can also wear them to work. Take your normal get-up: shirt and tie, blazer, dress shoes, pants. Now put a crewneck on over your shirt and under your blazer and you’ve got a killer outfit. Not only are you dressed for the stress, but you’re also saying, “I’m a cool coworker; I’ll talk about cable television with you.”

Fourth Tip: Hoodies and Jackets
Hoodies and jackets are the most kickass combo there is — one without the other is like a coke without the rum: subpar. I know what you’re saying, ‘Hoodies are already perfect.’ Yes, but when you add a denim jacket, you level up. This trick doesn’t just work with denim; pair your hoodie with a sports jacket or blazer. You are upgrading in style without sacrificing your comfort. The look is also a great blend of low and high fashion. You will not look like the dirt poor, in-debt college student that you are and you won’t look like a rich-ass snob who drinks wine on the green with his daddy’s dime.

Abigail Sullivan/IC
Joe Heidenescher poses in his joggers and pairs it with a pullover and jean jacket combo.

Fifth tip: Shoes
I am not afraid to admit, I love shoes — everyone should own more shoes. Sneakers, canvas, wingtips, boots, get them all. ‘But Joe,’ you say, ‘I don’t have that kind of cash to blow.’ I’ve good news, friend. Buy one pair of shoes from that list and make them work. You might be surprised how versatile shoes really are. We millennials are rocking sneakers with suits and brown dress shoes with blue jeans. Once you find yourself a pair of comfortable and affordable kicks, match their attitude. If you want to rock the sneakers and suit look, ditch the black and go for navies. Also aim for some fresh, lighter-colored sneaks. As for dress shoes, you can easily wear browns with blues so long as your shoes aren’t the classiest thing on you. Be sure to at least put on a button-up or polo.

Now who said being stylish meant being stuffy and uncomfortable? I say, it’s easy as hell to look fresh while still feeling comfy. Half of these clothes already double as my pajamas. So even if I’m late to class, I can still show up looking sharp. Because remember, no matter how dead you are on the inside, you can still look fly on the outside.

Joe Heidenescher is a third-year English major and the Features Editor for The Independent Collegian.