Toledo warms up for MAC play in scrimmage

Justice Sunderland, Sports Reporter

The University of Toledo’s women’s basketball team hosted Findlay in an exhibition game on Saturday and cruised to an 82-51 victory.

The Rockets put on a strong performance, shooting 48 percent from the field including 4 of 14 from behind the arch. Toledo defense swarmed the Oilers forcing 17 turnovers, converting those into 21 points.

“If we continue to improve each day, we can come out and surprise a lot of people,” said Head Coach Tricia Cullop,

Toledo was led by senior point guard Brenae Harris with 18 points. She received help from freshman Haylee Printz who chipped in 13 points on five-of-nine shooting.

Also contributing was freshman Kaayla McIntyre and senior Ana Capotosto both with 12 points.

“We have a lot of weapons,” Harris said. “Anybody can go off on any given night.”

Every player that touched the court for the Rockets scored at least 3 points.

Junior Janice Monakana scored 8 points and 3 rebounds and junior Sophie Reecher had 4 points and 5 rebounds. Sophomore Michaela Rasmussen added 6 points and 5 rebounds including a blocked shot.

“We want to have 4 or 5 players in double figures every night,” Cullop said.

Sophomore Jay-Ann Bravo-Harriott, sophomore Nancy Kessler, redshirt freshman Lindsay Dorr and freshman Sarah St. Fort all sat out due to injuries.

UT is returning with 4 of their top 5 scorers from a year ago. Also returning are Harris and Capotosto, and both seniors are looking to have an impact this season.

I think we have a lot of depth and athleticism. And I’m very excited to get started.”

— Tricia Cullop, Head coach

Harris started every game last season averaging 9.8 points and 3.8 rebounds. The 5’10 guard is physical on both sides of the court and will look to lead the Rockets to yet another winning season.

Capotosto, a 5’10 forward, averaged 7.7 points and 5.6 boards a season ago. She will look to hold down the middle for UT along with Monakana and Reecher.

“I expect to keep building each week,” Capotosto said. “At the end of the season I want to look at what we’ve built upon.”

The Rockets will be without former graduate Inma Zanoguera who led the team with 15.7 ppg last season.

“I think we have a lot of depth and athleticism,” Cullop said. “And I’m very excited to get started.”

The Rockets will look to top last season’s record of 19-14 (10-8 MAC) when they open up the 2015 season on Saturday at noon against Arizona in Savage Arena.