Splashing for charity

Joe Heidenescher, Community Editor

Diabetes affects approximately 29 million Americans, according to the Center for Disease Control, which is why UT’s Lambda Sigma is raising money and awareness for the disease.

Their annual event, UT Laps for Diabetes, consists of swimming laps to raise money for the Diabetes Partnership of Cleveland in order to send diabetic youth to Diabetes Camp.

“Obviously everyone knows diabetes exists. It’s not a very rare thing — it’s actually very common — and a lot of people know about it,” said Abriana Holzworth, Laps for Diabetes co-chair and a second-year pharmacy major. “Most people have heard of diabetes, but they don’t know what it actually entails for someone who has diabetes. You have to poke your finger every day, and test your blood sugar and eat so consciously.”

Kathryn Flanagan, Laps for Diabetes co-chair and a second-year pharmacy major, said diabetes camp helps educate diabetic youth about how to better handle their disease.

“Kids, when they are diagnosed with diabetes, sometimes they don’t realize that this is a big deal; it’s going to affect your life,” Flanagan said. “When you’re able to give them the chance to go to a camp where they are surrounded by other people and they get support, and kind of really tune into what they have and become conscious of it.”

Holzworth said the goal is to raise $1,500 this year. In the past they have raised close to $1,000 and have sent two kids to camp.

“So hopefully maybe we can send three kids this year,” Holzworth said.

In order to participate, all you have to do is show up, Flanagan said. There are four laps reserved for those who sign up to swim laps and activities for those who choose not to swim laps.

“So we have things like the biggest splash competition, a swimsuit competition, we have big inflatable animals you get to race across the pool, and they win prizes for each of the mini events,” Flanagan said.

According to the UT Laps for Diabetes Facebook page, these prizes range from T-shirts, gift cards and ear buds. For those who swim laps, there will be trophies and certificates presented.

A donation of $10 is required to swim laps. Holzworth said it is not required to have a sponsor, but if swimmers want to gather pledges per lap they are invited to.

“We actually have one professor that’s donating per lap swam for anyone that swims,” Flanagan said, “So when we get our total count of laps at the end, she’ll donate that amount per lap.”

Additionally Flanagan said they had University Hills sponsor them and snacks provided by Costco.

To find out how to donate money to this cause, visit their Facebook page.

The event is on Feb. 6 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Feb. 7 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.