Rockets fall to Buffalo 177-123 on senior night

Rachel Nearhoof/IC Staff

Toledo swimming and diving team rallies together before the start of Saturday's meet at the UT Recreational Center.

Justice Sunderland, Sports Reporter

The University of Toledo swimming and diving team was defeated by Buffalo 177-123 on Saturday’s senior night at the UT Recreation Center.

It was a night to remember for seniors Sammy Richart, Brooke Edwards and Lauren Comer as they picked up victories in their last meet at the Rec Center. Sophomore Jessica Avery also picked up a victory on the night, and the Rockets had eight additional second-place finishes.

Richart would defeat Avery by three seconds to win the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:02.87.

Edwards held off Buffalo’s Eve Kosten in the 100-yard freestyle with a mark of 51.78, the second-fastest time of her career. Avery also swam the second-best time of her career in the 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 2:20.57 claiming first in the event.

Comer won the 200-yard backstroke finishing with the time of 2:06.10, defeating UB’s Claudia Casale by two seconds.

Comer also had 3 second-place finishes in the 100-yard backstroke at 1:52.53, the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 5:08.72 and the 800-yard relay along with Maggie Hack, Edwards and Julie Schmidt.

Edwards finished second in the 200-yard butterfly, finishing with a time of 1:52.53. Richart and Edwards teamed up with freshman Stephanie Lohnes and sophomore Kat Streicher to take home second place in the 200-yard medley with a time of 1:46.13.

Senior Jamie Schindler performed impressively in her last go around as a Rocket. She scored 231.15 on the three-meter dive, making second place.

The Rockets will be hitting the road next weekend and traveling to Huntington, West Virginia, to take on Ohio University and Marshall in the Feb. 5 and 6 Marshall Invitational.