Heisman-winning quarterback comes to UT

Tim Tebow to speak about Christianity & football

Amber Thomas, Staff Reporter

Tim Tebow — two-time college football national champion, first round NFL draft pick and Heisman trophy winner, will be speaking at Savage Arena on Feb. 17.

The event is sponsored

by Toledo Christian Schools, and Mike Bartley, Director of Development at TCS, said Tebow was chosen to speak because of his Christian history.

“I think he is a

great role model

not only for kids, but for adults too. His faith and all that he is doing are definitely big reasons why we got him,” Bartley said.

The event will commemorate the 40th anniversary of Christian education at TCS, and Tebow will also talk about his journey of how he became the man he is today.

According to Tebow’s website, he grew up with missionary parents, making his passion for the word of God and serving those in need very important to him. After moving to Florida as a child, he returned to the Philippines as a teenager to be an evangelist and missionary.

While in college, Tebow continued making efforts to contribute to charitable causes. Throughout his football career at The University of Florida, where he led the Gators to two championships, he also raised money for pediatric cancer patients and disadvantaged children.

In 2010, he created the Tim Tebow Foundation which exists to bring “faith, hope and love to those needing a brighter day in their darkest hour of need,” according to his website.

The foundation provides services that include helping children with illnesses get medical care, working to find youth with special needs prom dates and providing grants to families who adopt international children with special needs.

Along with his philanthropy, Tebow is currently a college football analyst for the SEC Network, which launched in 2014. He appears as the co-host of SEC Nation, which is a traveling pre-game show. He also contributes to numerous ESPN Platforms including SportsCenter, ESPN Radio and coverage of the network’s Heisman Trophy.

Prior to joining SEC Network Tim Tebow played three years in the NFL for the Denver Broncos, New York Jets and New England Patriots.

Later he released Through My Eyes, the No. 1 bestselling sports and religion book in 2011, which tells the story of his faith, his life and his football career.

“We hope they are inspired by Tim’s message; everyone is probably going to draw something different from this event and we hope that it touches people’s hearts and they get something positive from it,” Bartley said.

Doors will open at 6:30 p.m. followed by entertainment at 7:30 p.m. from Sidewalk Prophets, a national award-winning contemporary Christian band from Nashville, Tennessee. The band has played at Winter Jam and has been featured on K-LOVE.

The proceeds from the event will go toward Toledo Christian Schools, as well as the Tim Tebow Foundation. Close to 1,500 tickets have been sold and it is expected to reach over 2,000.

If you are interested in attending this event, tickets start at low as $20 and go up to $60 with discounted tickets for groups ($3 off of 11 or more).

A VIP package for two is also available which includes a VIP reception with Tim Tebow at the price of $1,000.

To purchase tickets call 419-530-GOLD, by visiting www.UTRockets.com or www.ToledoChristian.com. For more information regarding VIP packages please contact [email protected]