Spare change for life

UT for Life raises money for Heartbeat of Toledo through a change drive

Sydney Brasic, Staff Reporter

It’s not uncommon for students to reach deep into their pockets to buy a T-shirt or a coffee at Starbucks. Many don’t like to carry change and are relieved to get rid of it when someone asks for donations. What you usually don’t see, however, is that same change filling up baby bottles.

UT for Life, in collaboration with 30 churches from the Toledo area, is running an on-campus competition. Student organizations are collecting change in baby bottles — provided by UT for Life — to raise money for Heartbeat of Toledo, a non-profit pregnancy help center that provides women and men with information and resources.

Pat Todak, executive director at Heartbeat of Toledo, said drives such as this one are a major source of funding for Heartbeat. Proceeds of the change collection will be used to cover operating expenses of both of their Toledo locations: one near Franklin Park Mall and another in East Toledo. Donations will also cover expenses for pregnancy tests, ultrasounds, parenting classes and supplies for newborns and babies.

“We are so thankful to UT for life for holding this drive on our behalf,” Todak said. “This is the first time that we are having organizations do it and having them fill large bottles so it will be interesting to see how it goes.”

Todak said churches involved in their efforts raise an average of about $50,000 per year.

President and Founder of UT for Life Meghan Oberle, a second-year recreational therapy major, said that even though this is the first change drive they have done, it hasn’t been the first money-raising event.

“We recently paired with Threads of Hope, Inc. to raise money for families in the Philippines by selling handmade bracelets in the Student Union,” Oberle said. “We were able to raise about $80 in the five hours that we were on campus that day.”

Oberle began UT for Life in 2014 after noticing a lack of pro-life organizations on campus and wanting to get involved in the movement herself. With help from Ed Sitter, the executive director of Foundation for Life of Northwest Ohio and Ohio Right to Life, UT for Life was born in November of 2014.

“Through my experience with this organization, I have learned a lot about the way many students at UT view pro-life advocates,” Oberle said. “It is a common misconception that the pro-life community shames and disregards the needs of women. In truth, we aim to assist women in finding better resources and organizations that will inform and support them without bias or hidden motives.”

Oberle said that she believes it is crucial to help out organizations like Heartbeat because they are non-profit and most of their funding comes through donations, but also because it informs students about a resource they can utilize if they are ever in need of one.

“In addition, it is important to raise awareness on campus to inform the students of our organization’s values and our mission,” Oberle said. “By pairing with local support and pregnancy centers, UT for Life is able to send a message of love and respect for all life.”

If you wish to donate your change to the baby bottle drive, contact Meghan Oberle through the UT for Life Facebook page. In addition, Heartbeat is always accepting donations at one of their two locations, located in East Toledo, or across from the Franklin Park Mall.