Rockets end record-breaking season with second-place finish

Photo Courtesy of UT Athletics

Senior Manisa Isavas looks at the green after her fairway shot.

Jenna Nance, Associate Sports Editor

The Toledo women’s golf team traveled to Noblesville, Indiana where they hit the links to compete in the 2016 Mid American Conference Championships over the weekend.
The Rockets finished second in the tournament, just four strokes behind No. 13 Kent State to complete the most accomplished season in program history.
This was the third runner-up showing for Toledo in the last four years, while the Golden Flashes notched their 18th straight league title.
“I’m really proud of this team,” said Head Coach Nicole Hollingsworth. “This is a great group that just continues to get better every week.”
UT shattered many records this season, including a school record of the most tournament victories in a season with five.
Senior Sathika Ruenreong was named first-team All-MAC for her fourth straight year, making her the only Rocket to ever earn this honor more than once. Senior Manisa Isavas received second-team All-MAC honors for her third consecutive year, and is the third ever Rocket to be named to an all-MAC team on three different occasions.
Hollingsworth was also honored as MAC Coach of the Year following the tournament, marking her second time winning the award in the past three years.
“I’m humbled and very happy,” Hollingsworth said. “Yeah, my name is on it, but it is a team award and the team’s hard work.”
Senior Morgan Salm was back and played in her first tournament since late February after a wrist injury. Salm finished tied for 33rd place, 15-over par 231 (75-77-79).
“I gambled putting Morgan in there, but there is no one stronger than her,” Hollingsworth said. “I’m glad she was able to finish her golf career with the team.”
Senior Manisa Isavas was one-over par through 11 holes until she sunk four straight birdies to close out the opening round. She tied for first with the best round of the day at three-under par 69.
Following the first round of the tournament, Toledo sat in first place with a 289 one-over par.
Freshman Natcha Daengpiem and Pimchanok Kawil rounded out the Top 10 for the Rockets with a one-over par 73 to end the day tied for seventh. Daengpiem and Kawil carded one birdie and two bogeys, and two birdies and three bogeys, respectively.
Ruenreong collected just one birdie and was just outside the Top 10 with a 13th place showing at two-over par 74.
Behind Toledo after day one sat Western Michigan with a five-over par 293 and Kent State at six-over par 292.
Round two is when the tides changed in the three-day tournament for the Rockets.
Toledo shot five-over par 293, dropping them three strokes behind Kent State after two rounds.
Kawil was the only Rocket who shot under par on day two, to finish the day in second place two-under par 142. She shot a score of 69, making her only the third Rocket to notch a score under 70 in MAC Championships history.
Isavas was the only other Rocket to round out in the Top 10 after day two with a fifth-place showing at even par 144.
The Golden Flashes took the lead after two with a three-over par 579 with Toledo and Ohio following behind with six-over par 582 and 17-over par 593.
Sunday marked the start of round three where UT looked to close the gap between themselves and Kent State.
Toledo finished with its lowest stroke total ever in the MAC Championships with an eight-over par 872, but fell just short of defeating nationally ranked Kent State.
“It’s hard to swallow because I saw it,” Hollingsworth said. “But, did they ever quit? … If the answer is no, then I can be nothing but proud of this team.”
Kawil finished the tournament with a career-low three-under par 213, snagging a second-place finish, just two strokes behind leader Danielle Nicholson of Akron.
Daengpiem was next for the Rockets finishing in ninth place with a score with a three-over par 219. Rounding out the Top 10 were Isavas and Ruenreong who tied for 10th place at four-over par 220.
Hollingsworth will be graduating three seniors but is not worried about the fate of the team.
“If we’re not better next year, then I’m not doing my job.”
The final leaderboard shows Kent State on top with a four-over par 868, while Toledo and Ohio followed behind with a second and third place showing at eight-over par 872 and 18-over par 882, respectively.
“I’m glad all my seniors got to play and finish their careers on top,” Hollingsworth said.
Ruenreong was one of six individuals to be selected to participate in an NCAA regional at the Shoal Creek Course in Shoal Creek, Alabama on May 5-7. She is the first Rocket to ever compete in an NCAA event.