New IC Staff excited to begin

Morgan Kovacs, News Editor

Scott F. Fitzgerald once famously said, “Life starts all over again at the crisp of fall.”
Along with the changing leaves and slight chill in the air, the new fresh-faced staff at the Independent Collegian is another indicator of a new season.
This fall, third-year communication major Jessica Harker will continue in her position as editor-in-chief. Harker started writing for the IC in the spring of 2015. After working her way through the ranks as associate news editor and news editor, Harker became editor-in-chief last March.
Emily Schnipke, a third-year communications major, has moved from community editor to managing editor for the upcoming year. Schnipke began writing for the IC early last fall and has spent last semester as the community editor.

“I’m really excited about this year. I’m looking forward to putting together a great paper,” Schnipke said. “I think our new staff is going to have a good year.”
Replacing Schnipke as the community editor is Amber Thomas. Thomas is a fourth-year student majoring in marketing with a minor in public relations.
Filling the news editor position this Fall will be third-year English major Morgan Kovacs. Kovacs started working with the IC last January as a staff writer and has since worked her way to news editor.
Coming on board along with Kovacs and Thomas is Ian Davis, a third-year communications major, who will step in as sports editor for his first year at the IC. Davis was hired over the summer directly into the editor position.
The new opinion editor, Philemon Abayateye. Abayateye, is a third-year Ph.D. student, studying spatially integrated social science. Philemon wrote for the opinion section of the IC last year and said he is excited to continue to grow as a writer.
Fifth-year independent studies student Rachel Nearhoof has also come aboard as the webmaster and social media coordinator — a new position at the IC. Nearhoof will also continue her place as the associate director of photography on top of her new positions at the IC.
“Basically that title entails managing social media interactions along with managing the web content,” Nearhoof said. “It is going to bring unity to the social platforms.”
Savannah Joslin, fourth-year communications major, will also continue as the director of photography.
With a new year starting fast the Independent Collegian has worked hard to prepare. Our new staff is ready to take on any challenges the semester may bring.