Color me happy

Emily Jackson / IC

Emily Jackson, Associate Community Editor

It feels as if I’ve been waiting for this moment my whole life, standing here in a sea of white t-shirts, brightly patterned socks and sparkly tutus. Music blares, bubbles float through the air and cheers rise from the crowd a hundred yards ahead as the next wave of people races away down the street.

My friends and I take a couple minutes to stretch as we near the starting line. Soon enough, it’s our turn. Over the loudspeakers someone is yelling “Go!” And then we’re off.

A group of about a hundred other people flows as one out into the street. A rush of adrenaline fills my veins and my tutu rustles wildly in the wind as we make our way down the street and around the first block.

Mothers push strollers and toddlers waddle to keep up and the fastest runners whiz past us. A few more turns and I spot it: the first color station. We take off sprinting toward the yellow cloud. We pass under a huge inflatable arch where volunteers have lined the street, ready to douse us in color.

I throw my hands in the air and skip - hop - twirl into the cloud. A blast of powdery yellow hits my face, my shirt, my shoes. Laughter bounces off the tall city buildings and I hear my own giggles join the noise. Never before have I felt so unashamedly giddy.

Throughout the following four kilometers, my friends and I are repeatedly splashed with pinks, blues and oranges. Every so often, we stop to take pictures; to scoop color from the ground and throw it at one another; to do a cartwheel.

Finally, we reach the end and, as we cross the finish line, one last color, a glittery metallic silver, powders my cheeks and shirt. For completing the race, each of us are awarded a gold medal, a bag of colored powder and a granola bar.

The race is over, but it seems the real fun is just beginning. A large crowd has gathered in a grassy area around a small stage and the DJ is blaring something loud and upbeat

Brimming with smiles and covered head to toe in a rainbow of hues, my friends and I melt into the crowd, bouncing up and down to the beat of the music. Someone with a microphone climbs on-stage and tosses dozens of color packets into the crowd. Then, on the count of three, we rip open our packets and thrust them into the air.

The sky above becomes a cloud of bright purple, green, blue, pink and gold. By the end of the day, our faces are caked with color and the only thing you can see are white toothy smiles and twinkling eyes.
This is what it was like for me to be a color runner, to take part in the Color Run. And honestly, it was one of the most unforgettable days of my life. Held in downtown Toledo, last year’s run was an amazing experience for me and this year the Color Run is being held right on the University of Toledo’s main campus.

THE COLOR RUN

The Color Run, also known as the Happiest 5k on the Planet, is a one-of-a-kind race that encourages healthiness, happiness and individuality.

Each year, the Color Run hosts events in over 200 cities and 40 countries where people of all ages and athletic ability come out to run, walk and dance their way to the finish line. But the Color Run is so much more than just a fun run: it also partners with local charities to help raise much-needed funds.

Last year, the Color Run helped to support Mercy Children’s Hospital and will do so again this year. On a much larger scale, the run is also affiliated with the Global Poverty Project, an international education and advocacy organization working to put an end to extreme poverty by 2030.

So, if you want a feel-good way to spend your Saturday, you might want to consider signing up and joining in the fun. To celebrate the Color Run’s five-year anniversary, this year’s theme is “Tropicolor” and will include island-style music, a rainbow beach, inflatable palm trees and beach vibes.

The race will take place Saturday, Aug. 27 at the University of Toledo. Free parking
will be available in Lot 25, Lot 13 and the west parking garage. However because parking is limited, participants are encouraged to arrive early. The start-line will open behind Academic House at 10 a.m. with waves of runners going every few minutes until 10:30 a.m.

It’s going to be an absolute blast and you better believe I’ll be out there again this year — running in my crazy striped socks and billowing tutu.