Carlson library opens with ribbon cutting ceremony

Rachel Nearhoof

UT students write their opinions about the renovations during the ribbon cutting ceremony

Meg Perry, Staff Reporter

A small crowd gathered together on the third floor of the University of Toledo’s Carlson Library on August 18 to celebrate the newly renovated third and fourth floors. After a summer of construction, the ribbon-cutting ceremony officially welcomed students to try out the new facilities before the start of the fall semester.

“This three-million-dollar renovation is proof that our library continues to accommodate all types and forms of studying and academic pursuit,” said UT President Sharon Gaber , one of the keynote speakers at the ribbon-cutting.

The renovation, which was funded entirely by state capital investment funds, not only provides students with more study space, but has also equipped the third and fourth floors with new chairs, desks, carpeting, ceilings, lighting and added many easily accessible electrical outlets. Over 20 study rooms were also added to accommodate private individual studying as well as group studies.

“It’s for the students,” said Elaine Reeves, the university’s online learning librarian. “We want them to have good lighting, more comfortable furniture and we want them to have nice study spaces.”

The library renovation began late last spring. Gaber, UT provost Andrew Hsu and the entire library faculty said they are incredibly pleased with the difference just one year of renovations has made.

“I believe our students will not only be better, more successful, students as a result of these new spaces,” said Barbara Floyd, director of university libraries, in her opening speech. “They will be better citizens of the world because of the face-to-face exchanges that happen within these spaces.”

Minutes after the ribbon cutting — much to the library faculties’ delight — students began to fill the newly renovated floors.

“I’m very excited to use these modern study spaces,” said Emily Davis, a third-year criminal justice major. “The renovations on the third and fourth floor have created opportunities for students to utilize an updated and creative workspace.”

These new workspaces were created for students to take advantage of a more effective and comfortable study environment while using library resources and professionals to help them access greater information. Carlson Library is striving to stay in touch with the times and trends.

“The new group study rooms and the individual study carrels will help Carlson Library to further meet the changing need of both current as well as future generations of students,” Gaber said at the ribbon-cutting.

The hard work put into the third and fourth floors has resulted in a complete transformation; however, Gaber said that it does not stop here. Renovations to the other floors of the library will continue on starting in the spring semester.