Design your dreams

Amber Thomas, Co-Community Editor

Are you interested in fashion, but are unsure of what to do because the University of Toledo doesn’t have a major for it? UT’s fashion organization StyleList is allowing students get in touch with the fashion field.

StyleList, UT’s first fashion organization, kicked off the new school year with a meet-and-greet mixer August 29 in the Student Union room 2584 from 7 to 9 p.m. This event gave students the chance to learn about the fashion organization as well as show their artistic abilities.

“Here at UT we don’t have a fashion major, let alone an organization,” said Taylor Hunt, a fourth-year computer science and engineering major. “I think it’s important for us to provide students with this type of creative outlet because I feel like a lot of people are interested in this type of stuff.”

The StyleList organization encourages students to step out of their comfort zone and dare to be different.

“Sometimes it’s hard pursuing fashion at a school that doesn’t have a major pertaining to it, but if you have a dream follow it,” said Teddi Covington, a fourth-year communication major.

According to Telaya Fletcher, a second-year majoring in pre-law, the Design Your Dreams event embodies the idea that you can do anything you dream of if you put your mind to it.

Students participated in a group painting project which gave them the opportunity to draw or write their dreams on a banner entitled #DesignYourDreams.

Paintings and drawings as well as other phrases that answered the question ‘What do you dream of?’ coated the entire banner.

According to Hunt, this event allowed students to come together creatively, give themselves a goal and also served as an icebreaker to meet other students interested in fashion.

Accompanying the activity, students listened to music, enjoyed mock-tails and hors d’oeuvres.

Games were played and students entered in a raffle that will take place at the end of the semester.

After the games, students were able to pair up with the executive board members they felt most similar with to discuss their roles and what it’s like pursuing fashion at a school that lacks the major.

“We want students to think of StyleList as a creative organization that welcomes talents of different artistic backgrounds,” Fletcher said.

StyleList holds general body meetings every other Monday and are seeking fashion enthusiasts, designers, graphic designers, videographers, models and makeup artists.

If you have any questions contact [email protected]