University of Toledo partners with the city to provide internships for students

Morgan Kovacs, News Editor

An internship is a valuable asset to a student’s education. The Office of Undergraduate Research and the Office of Experiential Learning and Career Services at the University of Toledo have joined forces to expand their internship programs in the city of Toledo. Their efforts have resulted in the creation of a new program called Toledo Talent Keeps Toledo Great.

“It seemed to be a natural place to partner with the Office of Undergraduate Research and expand it then for the city,�? said Shelly Drouillard, UT director of experiential learning and career services.

Toledo Talent Keeps Toledo Great focuses on students immersing themselves in all aspects of local affairs ranging from government, human resources, arts, finance and more.

“Students will be working in city offices and that will enrich their academic experience by actually solving real world problems within the city,�? said Thomas Kvale, UT director of undergraduate research.

Thomas Whitman, a fourth-year economics student, interned with the city of Toledo’s finance department. Whitman said that seeing the theories he learned in class applied to the real world was an awesome experience.

“I would highly recommend starting in Toledo,�? said Sam Duling, a fourth-year political science and economics major who interned in the mayor’s office in the summer of 2015. “At the local level, that is where I think really fulfilling work for students is at play. In an national office, there are fewer opportunities.�?

Kvale said that before Toledo Talent Keeps Toledo Great program was created, students took part in Tol-Interns. Unlike Tol-Interns, students now have the opportunity to intern during each semester as opposed to only the summer.

“During the academic year, the internship is mainly for academic credit. During the summer, students can earn stipends as their form of pay,�? Kvale said. “Three to four students get those paid internships.�?

Students should not be discouraged to do an internship without the stipend, however. Both Kvale and Drouillard noted that these internships help students make good connections, network and boost their resumes. In fact, two former interns are now working for the presidential campaigns.

The expansion of this program opens the doors for more students. According to Drouillard, both President Sharon Gaber and the city of Toledo fully support this program. They feel passionate about working together to create these opportunities.

“Until Gaber came along, the office of undergraduate research was more closely married to the honors college,�? Duling said, “Her initiative is to bring that a little bit closer to students who aren’t necessarily honors students.�?

Drouillard added that it is very near and dear to President Gaber’s heart that this opportunity is open to all students who are in good academic standing.

Toledo Talent Keeps Toledo Great also plays the role of a matchmaker.

“If students go to the website and don’t see a match for themselves, they can come to us and say ‘I’m interested in such-and-such’ and we will go back to the city and try to find them an internship,�? Drouillard said.

Both Whitman and Duling agreed that

“I think this program is a great opportunity. I think the people in the city really care about your college experience,�? Whitman said. “They care about more than just getting work out of you; they care that you actually learn and develop a passion for civil service.�?

As well as benefiting themselves, students also benefit the greater Toledo community. Students have been involved in writing grant proposals, doing various research projects and helping to solve problems, Kvale added

“By helping the team operate more efficiently, I think I really did help the greater community,�? Whitman said.

Perhaps one of the most important goals of an internship is to help student figure out if that career suits them and if they want to continue to pursue it. Duling, for example, learned that being a state senator might not necessarily be for him.

“I would absolutely intern in the mayor’s office again. Not because that is where I want to end up, but because I learned so much about myself and what I do and don’t want,�? Duling said. “If you don’t find that out now, you are going to find it out when you have fewer options.�?

Toledo Talent Keeps Toledo Great aims for students to gain more than just work experience.

“Any student who takes this opportunity, their life is going to be changed in some way. They are going to gain experience and self-awareness as well as make networks,�? Drouillard said.

Although the program kicked off in August, there are still fall internships available. If a student is interested they should submit their application as soon as possible. The deadline for spring internships is November 30.

For more information about Toledo Talent Keeps Toledo Great contact Shelly Drouillard at [email protected] or call (419) 530-4341.