Thomas: My first New York experience

Amber Thomas, Community Co-Editor

The Big Apple announces itself in a peculiar way. As I step off the train I see the sidewalks bathed in old black gum, quickly reminding me that I’m not in Kansas anymore — or Toledo I should say. This ‘concrete jungle’, as Alicia Keys would say, is the cradle that molds you into the person you truly are.

The experiences from this past weekend would pass among my most memorable life experiences. I was in the Big Apple, one of the biggest cities, but I found myself among crowds of free-spirited and self-expressive people whose bohemian attitude exemplifies the importance of living life on one’s own terms.

I was in New York to attend AFROPUNK FEST, an annual festival held in Brooklyn. The city greeted me with unending music, food and good vibes. I finally felt like I could be myself without anyone judging me. I realize that being true to who I am is very important because the society we live in can sometimes mask our true identity. In New York City, people can be whoever they want to be without judgment.

As I stroll down Broadway Street, a woman to my left wearing a fuchsia gown is selling Indian inspired jewelry and to my right a man is dipping churros in the deep fryer. I walked further to see a homeless man sleeping with his dog; his bare feet were the color of coal, but he made sure to have food for his companion.

Immersed in the aura around me, my mood became chipper and pleasant; something that I don’t often get to feel due to my busy schedule. I stopped into a drink spot similar to Jamba Juice and grabbed a headache juice made with a blend of beets, carrots and cucumbers to help with the terrible migraine I had from a screaming baby on the plane. I called an Uber and was on my way back to the hotel to begin my festivities for the night.

When I got back to my hotel, I slipped my exotic print gown over my head, grabbed my girls and we were off. Unsure of which way to go we spotted a group of kids and trailed them. As we got closer and closer, my anticipation heightened and I began to pant like a dog, because I was so anxious and because I have asthma and it was getting pretty intense.

As I turned the corner, I was surprised by everyone’s free spirit. I saw dreadlocks in the shape of horns, fros taller than the Eiffel Tower and crowns accentuated with jewels and flowers. People wore outfits made of different colors as if they found the start of a rainbow and laid the clothes there, tribal prints painted on people’s faces and denim on denim as if I walked on the set of a Levis photoshoot.

No two people looked the same; everybody was just themselves and I loved it. After waiting in the mosh pit of a line, we finally reached entry and my eyes lit up with more amazement. My group and I walked a bit further to digest the scenery more. On the left of the park a punk concert was happening and on the right R&B and hip-hop, truly a mixture of vibes.

Prior to the trip I was most excited about the cultural atmosphere and once there I blended in like a bowl of nacho cheese dip fresh out of the microwave. I stayed on the punk side for a little bit and experienced some very loud very grungy music — I’m sure the artist lost his voice in the morning. A mannequin head was thrown around in the crowd as well as other unidentifiable objects.

After consuming the acidic music, I made my way to the right side which was filled with 90’s era hip hop and R&B. Vendors sold eccentric jewelry, African print clothing and paintings.

Poet and activist Nikki Giovanni spoke some invigorating words on what it is to be a black woman, which then opened up the next act, United Kingdom artist Laura Mvula.

After her performance, we raced back over to the punk side where Tyler the Creator was going to be. It was epic. We were packed in like sardines but the energy was unexplainable. We all bounced to the beat and rapped his rhythmic tunes. Soon he came to the end and the crowd dispersed. I was coated in a layer of sweat, not all of which was my own, and my feet were the color of charcoal from the dirt I walked in, but it was all worth it.

New York is truly a melting pot and AFROPUNK solidified that. People of different races, backgrounds, religions and sexual preferences were able to come in unison and enjoy an epic event. This city is judge free zone: I could probably walk outside in my silk PJs and get complimented about how daring or haute I look. A place that allows you to be true to yourself is what New York is and that is true freedom.

Amber Thomas is a fourth-year marketing and professional sales student and community co-editor.