Gaber enacts new policy to avoid salary bloating for administrators

Daniel Miller/University of Tole

Sharon Gaber

University of Toledo President Sharon Gaber enacted a new policy last week that eliminates salary bloating of administrators who are returning to the faculty level.

“I wanted to be thoughtful with what are we doing with people who are administrators when they go back to faculty and make sure we’re sort of de-escalating I think … it wouldn’t be normal for me as a professor to make $300,000 and work in this discipline,” Gaber said.

Gaber continued to say that the policy is inline with her strategic plan for the university, which includes decreasing administrative costs as one of her five strategic goals.

The amount of a salary cut administrators in this position may be facing is to be determined on a case-to-case basis, according to Gaber. She said that the policy only requires that the salary the person made as an administrator is not a factor in determining their salary as they go back to faculty positions.

The policy actually states that “Beginning July 1, 2016, the base faculty salary for the return of new administrators (deans level and above) to a faculty appointment must be established at the time of the administrative assignment…The salary previously earned as an administrator is not a factor in determining the new salary.”

Gaber said she is subject to this policy, as well as anyone hired under her as president. She would go from her presidential salary of $450,000 to a salary of $130,000 if she were to return to faculty.

Other administrators under this policy include the new Provost Andrew Hsu who makes $337,500 as provost and would stand to make less than 50%, only $150,000 if he were to return to faculty.

Amanda Bryant-Friedrich, the dean of the College of Graduate Studies and Willie McKether, the vice president for diversity, are both restricted under the new policy as well.

“I don’t think that the university had really thought about that previously,” Gaber said. “So I know there are question marks all the time: is it a good policy, is it a bad policy? I do know some good universities that are using it.”

Gaber also said that anyone hired before she became president or who has a previously determined contract would not be affected by the policy.

Other policy changes Gaber has enacted within the last year that were inline with her desire to reduce administrative costs include creating the division of advancement and merging several of the colleges resulting in the colleges of Arts and Letters, University College and Health and Human services.