UT puts on its dancing shoes with the ballroom dance society

Anna Glore, Staff Reporter

Put on your dancing shoes, because the University of Toledo’s Ballroom Dance Society is giving students, and the public, the opportunity to put a little pep in their steps.

Lessons take place every Sunday at 3 p.m. in the Ingman Room in the Student Union, and Wednesday evenings at 9:30 p.m. in the HEC/ROTC building. Sunday lessons are three dollars per lesson, or $25 per semester. Wednesday lessons, which are taught by a professional instructor, are five dollars per lesson or $30 per semester. However, if you do choose to pay per lesson, it will never surpass the semester amount.

Genevieve Kirk, one of thea ballroom dance instructors at UT, said that she began dancing when she was young and has been in love with it ever since.

“My mom actually used to be a ballroom dancer, and she taught me how to hustle and cha-cha when I was very small. We would always steal the dance floor doing our routines together,” Kirk said.

Kirk also said that she was excited to find out that UT held ballroom dancing lessons, and got involved in it right away; she encourages everyone to try it just as she did.

Just in case you’re not sure ballroom is a fit for you, the first two lessons are completely free. And just giving it a try comes at no cost whatsoever, as the first two lessons are free for everyone.

“I would encourage everyone to try ballroom dancing at least once. You don’t need a partner to join and we always try to encourage dancing with people you haven’t yet or don’t really know because it’s a great social sport and I’ve made so many friends through it,” said Kirk. “As an added bonus, it’s always really cool to whip out ballroom dancing at any party and literally dance circles around the people who have no idea how to dance.”

Kirk added that no one should be nervous to try ballroom dancing, even if it is something you have never done before.

“A lot of people are afraid to try dancing because they claim to have two left feet, but all of our lessons are beginner-friendly, and we’re always willing to help everyone learn at their own pace.”