New dining option to replace Rocky’s

Morgan Kovacs, News Editor

The Student Union prepares to say goodbye to a UT-themed Rocky’s and hello to Steak ‘n Shake, which is expected to open early next semester. The decision was made after a poll held by dining services, which named Steak ‘n Shake as the newest addition to the Student Union.

“We are trying to bring more national brands to campus,” said Paul Meister, general manager of retail dining. “Steak ‘n Shake is something that students from all over the country will recognize.”

For some students, Rocky’s demise is rather bittersweet.

“Steak ‘n Shake will bring more variety to campus,” said fourth-year mechanical engineer major Eric Brown. “What I’ll miss about Rocky’s is that is that the theme revolved around the university.”

However, in a poll held on the Independent Collegian Facebook page, the majority of students who participated voted that that Steak ‘n Shake will be a positive addition to the Student Union, while only seven percent said they would prefer Rocky’s.

“While it was nice to have a place that is original to UT and one of a kind, I think Steak ‘n Shake will be more appealing since people from all over have heard it,” said third-year criminal justice major Trent Cook. “I personally love Steak ‘n Shake and I am excited for it to open.”

Meister explained that Rocky’s is the best place to put Steak ‘n Shake. It will hopefully bring some traffic downstairs in the Student Union to relieve congestion from the much more limited upstairs.

Part of Steak ‘n Shakes attraction is the affordability. They offer a four-dollar specialty menu and their famous milk shakes cost about four dollars as well.

“We are not exactly sure about the prices,” Meister said, “but they should be fairly comparable to other locations. There might be a few changes as well as a slightly limited menu.”

As for the future of UT dining, Meister said that UT is trying to bring more familiarity for current and future students.