Nieszczur: Little changes that can make a big difference in a student’s daily health

Alexis Nieszczur, IC Columnist

Let’s face it. Between juggling classes, clubs, sports, volunteering and leisure time, there isn’t much time to think about being healthy. Of course, we all want to be healthy, but not all of us think that we have the time to actually be healthy. However, being healthy doesn’t have to mean spending hours at the gym or only eating salads. Here are some tips that show you that simple life changes can lead to a healthier lifestyle.
First, swap that ice cream for frozen yogurt. Frozen yogurt has less fat and is a lower-calorie option compared to ice cream. In my opinion, it tastes the same, if not better! Also, lower fat means you won’t have to feel too guilty about adding in a few mix-ins. A favorite place of mine is Koala Berry, located just a few minutes from campus.
Also, opt for light dressing. The light option often has less fat and calories, while still providing full flavor.
Go easy on the cheese. Ask for light or no cheese on your salad or sub. It won’t taste much different, yet it saves you a lot of saturated fat.

Be sure to take the long way to class. I realize this may not be realistic in the winter, but, in nice weather, take the scenic route to class. It will help you relax.
Always choose the stairs over the elevator. Yes, that’s not exactly what you want to hear, but it helps burn some of the calories. Of course.
Choose whole-grain or wheat bread over white bread. Whole-grain breads have many more nutritional benefits than typical white bread. Additionally, whole-grain or wheat breads typically have better flavor and texture.
Do leg and ab exercises while in class. No, this isn’t as crazy as you may think! Sitting and tightening and loosening ab muscles is a great way to tone up. Also, extending and holding your legs up while seated can improve calf muscles. As you can see, you don’t have to be at the gym to work out.
Have fruits and veggies on hand. Instead of having Oreos or cupcakes at the ready, have fruits and veggies pre-packaged in the fridge for you to grab anytime on your way out the door to class.
Wake up 15 minutes earlier. Although sleep seems a priceless commodity to the student, I promise you’ll appreciate it. I like to do stretches and a good ten-minute ab video off of YouTube to start my day. I follow up with a hearty bowl of oatmeal and a banana. This is an easy routine that helps me feel ready to take on the day.
Choose grilled over fried chicken. Grilled chicken can still be as great as tenders, a sandwich, or in a salad, and it saves you lots of fat and calories! Plus, it can be flavored with low-fat marinades and sauces for a delicious meal.
Get a hot-air popper. I purchased one for $15. The hot air popper uses no oil, so the popcorn is a healthy alternative to microwave or bagged popcorn. You can add some zero-calorie butter spray to it as well for a little flavor.
Consider a weight app. I have LoseIt! downloaded on my iPhone. You can punch in whatever food items you had (it even has the info for thousands of restaurant chain foods) and find out their caloric and nutritional information. Just seeing these things can help us make wiser choices in the future, since what you don’t know can hurt your health.
Go easy on the buffets. With all-you-can-eat dining halls, it’s easy to get carried away. Don’t be afraid to put small portions on your plate instead of filling a plate up to its max. You can always go up for more, but doing this initially will help you to stop overeating just to clear your plate.
So you see, little changes can go a long way in helping us get to our healthy selves. Let’s get this going, guys!
Alexis Nieszczur is a PharmD student in the College of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences.